Mystery of SICSIC identities unmasked

“I’m sick, I’m going to the store.”

“I’m going to study in the library.”

“I’m going to Jaime’s house.”

Used these excuses before?

The members of SICSIC have.

The two senior members of the spirit group that torment opposing fans and rally around Bowling Green fans, will be unmasked this weekend at the Bowling Green-Miami basketball game. The unmasking will be the culmination of three and a half years of service to the SICSIC group.

Michael Ginsburg, the assistant dean of students in the Office of Student Life and advisor to the spirit group, said the members are very dedicated students.

“These students are a very important group on campus,” Ginsburg says, “They work hard to create a mystique and they are focused on promoting school spirit through secrecy.”

The members of the group are selected at the end of their freshman year and are required to remain as a part of the group until they are unmasked during their senior year. Each year, a male and female member are selected. The group was chartered by former University President Frank Prout.

The members are sworn to secrecy, and one of the senior members of the group this year said it hasn’t been easy.

“It was real tough when I lived in the dorms, because then it’s harder to sneak away,” SICSIC member number one said. Member number one wears the disguise of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

“When I finally moved off campus, it became easier,” Stone Cold said. “But it was real tough sneaking away and finding new excuses every time there was a sporting event, or when we had to hang up signs at three in the morning. But it’s all been worth it.”

Stone Cold said that this year has made up for his first two years, as the football and basketball teams have both drawn many fans. He said that during his first two years, there were a minimal amount of fans at the games, making his job much more difficult. “The football season this year was amazing,” Stone Cold said. “Being able to be a part of that excitement and rev up the fans even more was awesome.”

He said that Saturday will be a bittersweet day for him, as his reign as SICSIC number one ends. He said he will be upset, but it will be interesting to talk to his friends afterwards.

“I don’t know what it’s going to be like to talk to all of my friends after they see me unmasked,” he said. “I want to know what they’re all going to say and how they’re going to re-hash all the stories I used to tell them about when I had to leave. It went as far as people calling my house and my parents having to lie for me. It will be a fun day.”

The Bowling Green-Miami game is 1 p.m. tip-off Saturday, and members number one and two of SICSIC will be unmasked at half-time.

Each year, after the two seniors are unmasked, the group selects two new members. This year’s applications will be available Monday in room 301 of the Union.