Women 8th, men 12th at MAC meet

The cross country team finished their biggest race of the season Saturday at the Mid-American Conference championship meet in Akron, Ohio. The race was ran much like their other races this season in that the Falcons had a variety of results.

The women’s team moved up a spot from last year’s championship meet and finished eighth. The men, on the other hand, had a problem getting going en route to a 12th place finish. The women were led by their team captain Amber Culp. Culp had no problem dominating most of the pack on her way to a fifth place finish overall. She finished the race with a time of 17:42.8.

“Amber ran a great race,” coach Cami Wells said. “She looked strong and focused the entire race. She wanted to be All-MAC first team and she went out and made it happen.”

Culp was followed by two promising first-year runners Bridget Dalic (18:40.8) and Andrea Pollack (18:49.3). The two finished 33rd and 40th, respectively.

“I was pleased with Bridget Dalic’s race,” Wells said. “She was the third freshman overall in the field and ran a strong race from start to finish.”

Leslie Carden (18:54.4) and Melissa Krueger (18:58.7) rounded out the top five for the women. Carden had a record-setting day with her strong finish.

“Leslie ran a collegiate personal best and improved to finish 44th up from 103rd last year in the MAC meet,” Wells said.

The men had a much more difficult day and Wells is pretty sure she knows the reason why.

“The men had a poor showing overall,” she said. “They have had a long year and the fatigue is starting to set in.”

The men’s two highest finishers were first-year runners Edgar Ramirez (26:52.0) and Edwin Cheruiyot (26:57.2). The pair finished 72nd and 74th and have left Wells feeling that the men’s team has a bright future in MAC competition.

“Edgar Ramirez is the leader of this team and he has put in a very solid effort this fall,” She said. “I look for great things from him in the future as well as Edwin Cheruiyot, who needs some time to recover from nagging injuries.”

This will be the last race for the men’s team this season as fatigue is playing a large role in their not participating in the regional meet. The women’s team will look forward to their regional meet, though, as it will provide for a more high-endurance test.

“I am looking forward to seeing [the women] race a 6K at regionals,” Wells said. “The longer distance suits this team well.”

The Great Lakes Regional Tournament will take place on Nov. 15 in Terre Haute, Ind.