GSS urges parking restrictions

At Friday’s meeting, the Graduate Student Senate passed legislation encouraging the University to prohibit faculty from parking in commuter parking lots. USG passed similar legislation several weeks ago.

Referring to why GSS and USG have been supporting similar legislation, GSS President Deirdre Rogers said, “I think that there are certain issues that affect all students such as faculty parking and how the funding is done.” Rogers said that by working together the two legislative bodies can have some sense of strength in numbers, especially when the legislation is sent to the administration.

Rogers also said that some issues are particularly unique for graduate students and other issues are particularly unique for undergraduates, but these issues often fall under the same realm. Even if identical legislation is not passed on these issues, USG and GSS can still support the broader issues and present a semi-united front.

“For example, a lot of undergrads are concerned about shuttle services and the conditions of the busses,” Rogers said.

“Graduate students are concerned with expanding the routes for off-campus students. But because both of these concerns are issues relating to shuttle service we can support each other.” At the meeting, GSS discussed the possible first step in improving shuttle service. Senators discussed legislation that urges the city of Bowling Green and the University to work together to expand the University Shuttle Service across town.

“I think that’s going to help decrease the amount of traffic and congestion in BG, be environmentally sound and it will help with the commuter parking issue, with faculty and staff parking,” Rogers said.

The legislation, which will be voted on later this month, proposes two new shuttle routes servicing the western and southern parts of the city.

“There are so many positive ramifications. It can help bridge the gap between the University and the community. It can be a way for us to all work together on a particular project,” Rodgers said. “I don’t see why anyone would be against this legislation. It’s a win-win-win-win situation.”

The next Graduate Student Senate meeting is Nov. 21 at 3 p.m. in 308 Union.