Gridders look to rebound

Following a game where almost nothing went right for BG, the Falcons look to rebound against Kent State this weekend.

“The game that we played was like we were a bunch of impostors,” said defensive lineman Will Teague. “We were not ourselves, the defense just did not make plays, we let them hurt us … . We’re pissed off, we’ve got a lot to prove. We’ve got to come out blazing.”

Even with last week’s loss to the RedHawks, the Falcons still control their own destiny in the Mid-American Conference West division. If they win their last three games they will win the MAC West and host the MAC championship game.

“It’s a pretty good feeling. Now we just have to step up to the plate and do it,” said offensive lineman Robert Haley. “It’s good to know that we won’t have to wait on a team to lose or a certain team to win for us to make it to our goal, which is to win the [MAC] West and hopefully be in the MAC Championship.”

The Falcons (7-2, 4-1 MAC) come into tomorrow’s game ranked 25th in the Associated Press poll and 26th in the Coaches poll. The Golden Flashes (4-6, 3-3) are looking to end a 14-game losing streak at Doyt Perry Stadium which dates back to 1972. The Falcons took home a decisive victory the last time the two teams met, beating the Flashes 45-14 in Kent last November. However, Haley knows that the Falcons cannot take the Flashes lightly.

“We just have to come in here and play them like we played everyone else,” he said. “They’re going to come in here fired up … they’re going to be ready to play so we also have to be ready to play.”

The Falcons will be looking to continue an 11-game winning streak at Doyt Perry Stadium. The last time they lost a home game was Nov. 3, 2001, when they fell to Miami of Ohio 24-21.

“You don’t let anybody come into your backyard and beat you at home,” said cornerback Janssen Patton. “Teams know that when they come into ‘the Doyt’ that it’s going to be a tough game. They know that we don’t lose at home. We make it real tough to win here and teams know that.”

The last time the Falcons played at home, the second-largest crowd in Doyt Perry Stadium history gave the Falcons a true homefield advantage. Patton knows the importance of the fans making another strong showing tomorrow.

“It’s extremely important. I don’t even know if the fans realize what their support and them being out there really does to another team,” he said. “The fans play a huge part in our game plan. We want them to make it as hostile an environment as they possibly can.”

Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.