BGSU alum led campus to Guiness record in 1975

In a time when luxury student living meant a refrigerator, electric typewriter and calculator, Terry (Casseday) Carver helped 3,375 other students dance their way into the Guiness Book of World Records by creating the “longest snake dance” during Homecoming in 1975.

Carver, now administrative secretary in the office of the vice president for student affairs, participated in the snake dance leading up to the pep rally Friday evening in an attempt to relive that memory. A 1976 graduate, Carver always found herself involved with Homecoming activities and served as a sub-committee chairwoman in 1974.

This year’s snake dance, which occurred despite cold temperatures, wind and rain, had a different feel than the original in 1975, Carver said.

“It was smaller and wetter and not quite as spirited because people were trying to stay dry,” she said. “But it was neat to be able to do this again.”

Now, according to Carver, technology and an increase in the number of events on campus has had an impact on how many students participated in Homecoming activities.

“People were very spirited,” she said. “They participated in a lot because we didn’t have a lot back then like we do now.”

But, Carver said, the crowds at sporting events still exist, but have branched out to include all ages.

“The crowds are still there,” she said. “One of the big differences is that there are families here now. When I was here it was all kids the same age.”

According to Carver, the 1975 event was not only record-breaking, but also occurred during a period of student streakers on campus. Carver witnessed some of their antics at the bonfire that followed the dance.

“I remember being in the snake dance and seeing the streaker go by and the cops chasing after him,” she said. “That was indelible in my mind. That is one thing I’ll never forget.”