Murphy Lee

Murphy Lee

Murphy’s Law

Universal

Grade: A+

Murphy Lee, in his first solo release after starring on the release from his group, The St. Lunatics, proclaims he wants to be himself and nobody else.

Well he is technically himself on Murphy’s Law, but the influences from his mentor, Nelly, and others such as Jermaine Dupri are very evident as Lee proves to listeners is was his distinct voice that kept the ‘Tics together on Free City.

Lee combines upbeat rhythm with slower, lyrically-based songs for a mix that doesn’t offer a disappointing track throughout the album. The first-released single off the album, “Shake Ya Tailfeather,” is probably the 10th best song on the album, which may be a good thing, because it kind of sucks.

Nelly joins Lee for “Hold up,” an “E.I.” type song where Nelly asks for a minute to put some pimpin’ in it. In what? Oh, you know. Murphy Lizzle is on a Jazzy produc-shizzle for the song “Luv me Baby,” another get-up-and-grind type song. Jazze Pha and Sleepy Brown join him for this song, where Murph asserts he’s going to make ya love him. Baby.

The album also features three skits, much like Free City, in which Cedric the Entertainer is the mad baby daddy. These skits have no sign of Ced, but rather a town meeting in which a man asks townies how long you should use the same hot dog water for.

“What The Hook Gon Be?” is one of the more rousing songs on the album, featuring Dupri; “What the Hook Gon Be?/ I don’t need no $#%^-ing hook on this B/All I need is a track in the background/My headphones loud keep it goin’ ’round.”

The remainder of the CD, including Shake Ya Tailfeather, is a continuation of the high-energy songs the first half includes. Lee uses the background Nelly has laid for him to his advantage, and has produced a solid album.