Romer serves up a victory

After three intense weekends of tournament play, the women’s tennis team opened up their dual match competition Tuesday with a dominating effort against Wayne State, winning 7-0. The shutout was made even more impressive as Heidi Romer and Cameron Benjamin won every game in each of their individual flights.

With her victory, Romer achieved a “golden set,” as her opponent failed to score a single point in the entire match.

“What Heidi did was pretty hard to do, but she was in the zone. She handled the wind well, and strong winds can take a lot away from your game by affecting what type of shots you can and can’t take.

She played extremely well and how she won was a big accomplishment,” Head Coach Penny Dean said.

Lisa Maloney and Susie Schoenberger only lost one game in doubles competition at the top flight, and all six of the Falcons singles’ players won in straight sets, resulting in a strong overall performance.

“We were better rested for this week’s competition, and hungry to play again. We played in three tough tournaments in a row, and having the weekend off helped us. After all the difficult tournaments, the dual matches were easier for us to get focused for and it was easier to get the job done,” Dean said.

This is a good sign for the Falcons, who continue match play tomorrow at home. Their opponent, Western Ontario, is bringing 10 players down to BG which means every Falcon on the roster will get a chance to compete.

“We’ve never faced them before, but they had a close match with Wayne State just last week, so they are comparable to them. I expect another strong showing from our team, and am looking forward to having every player to get a shot at winning,” Dean said.