UAO needs to bring different genre

First, we want to make it clear that the staff of the BG News realizes it is difficult to book bands on campus because of budget restrictions and also because many bands are touring during the weeks of homecoming.

With that aside, we want to offer our analysis of why ticket sales were low this year and also give our advice for the future. First, we think a hip-hop group may not have been the best decision for a few reasons.

The concert last year featured rap artist Ludacris and tickets sold out in five hours. But many people complained the show was not as good as they had hoped. Many said there were sound problems in Anderson Arena and the performance by Ludacris had been disappointing.

Maybe people may have remembered this and therefore did not buy a ticket to another hip-hop show.

We have heard arguments that Anderson Arena may not be the best venue for hip-hop because the heavy bass does not register well in the arena and also the performer’s words can be hard to distinguish.

Also, Ludacris is a mainstream performer with a number of popular songs. He was also a familiar name. Nappy Roots and Black-Eyed Peas did not have the shock value that Ludacris had on our campus.

We feel that on our campus, rap and hip-hop are popular types of music, but not the most listened to here at the University. And maybe students just wanted a taste of something different.

In the future, UAO should try to get a group from a different musical genre. Maybe an alternative rock group like 311 (which Central Michigan has booked this year), Foo Fighters or Incubus.

Maybe we could even try a country group. Although many people groan about country, it is very popular in this area and at the University. We at the BG News think a country show has the potential to sell out.

What about something different like Nora Jones or Fiona Apple? Or maybe even an older performer? Miami University brought in Bob Dylan a few years ago as well as Don Henley from the Eagles.

We think students have respect for these kind of artists, and it would appeal to people from around town too. Maybe that would be worth a try.

As was stated before, this editorial is in no way a bashing of UAO’s efforts to bring talent to campus, but we feel a closer look at popular music may be needed. We hope our suggestions are helpful.