Sandusky Philanthropist Makes Another Contribution

University alumnus and Sandusky philanthropist George Mylander presented a check for $2 million yesterday to establish student scholarships and the creation of an endowed visiting professorship in education.

Mylander, 71, who graduated in 1958 with a degree in business and earned his master’s in education in 1970, made one request to audience members yesterday afternoon at a ceremony in Prout Chapel.

“I will only ask one thing, that you not take it to the bank tomorrow,” he said.

Mylander currently serves as chair of the board of directors of the Bowling Green State University Foundation Inc., a non-profit, tax-exempt organization created to receive and manage all contributions from private sources. He was also instrumental in raising funds for the new Cedar Point Center at BGSU Firelands. Mylander’s $2 million gift will be used to create the George L. Mylander Scholarship at BGSU Firelands in Huron, support the Alumni Laureate Scholars and a deferred gift of $500,000 will be used to create and endowed a visiting professorship to bring distinguished educators to campus.

A retired teacher and administrator in the Sandusky City Schools, as well as former mayor of Sandusky, Mylander is no stranger to giving the University his time or money.

Previous contributions from Mylander have also established alumni laureate scholarships in his name. Sufficient scholarship funds for students is what the University lacks — and is what Mylander hopes this contribution will improve.

“It’s very clear from being on the Foundation board that one of the weaknesses we have is the ability to provide scholarships,” he said. “When I give here I know it helps so many students.”

For Alumni Laureate Scholar Janna Carpenter, events like yesterday’s ceremony remind her of just how much scholarship donations can help University students. Carpenter is one of six students to recieve the scholarship consisting of full tuition, fees and a $1,000 annual book award.

“It definitely makes me think back to how thankful I am that I can attend college,” she said. “I hope that my [future] job will provide me with the opportunity to give back not only of my money but of my time.”

Without a spouse or children, giving of his family inheritance to his alma mater is like giving to family, Mylander said.

“I feel like some of the organizations I support are like my family,” he said. “One day you just don’t wake up and say ‘I’m going to become a philanthropist.”

According to University President Sidney Ribeau, Mylander’s contributions to the University are the core values in action.

“George Mylander epitomizes all the core values of this institution,” Ribeau said. “They’re more than just slogans, they’re more than just catchy phrases. They have to do with how we treat one another and how we respect one another as we do the very challenging work that universities do.”

And Mylander has the drive to tackle these challenges at the University, Ribeau said.

“George has been at the forefront of our achievements,” he said. “And he does it with poise and dignity, but he does it with a little fire in his belly too.”