Women’s soccer falls

It was a tough weekend for the women’s soccer team as they loss to Eastern Illinois and Eastern Michigan.

The Falcons played tough, but just couldn’t seem to get any breaks when they needed them the most.

In Friday’s game, the Falcons lost to the Eastern Illinois Panthers, 4-2, in a non-conference game.

BG came out and generated six quality scoring chances, but couldn’t find the net with any of the shots. On the other hand, the Panthers came out and took advantage of their opportunities, taking a 1-0 lead after Beth Liesen scored at the 27 minute mark. Just nine minutes later, Abby Bohnenstiehl scored over top of Ali Shingler to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead.

Bowling Green made a comeback just 22 seconds after the Bohnenstiehl goal, Katie Piening scored her first goal of the season on an assist from Kristi Coppes with a shot that curved in off the right post.

Then, Carrie Richards got her first goal of the year from a pass by Megan Rapp to tie the game at two just three minutes into the second half.

At the 64-minute mark, Lindsey Holcomb broke the tie and put the Panthers up 3-2 after Shingler tried to cut her off and left the net empty. Trisha Walter then scored later on for the Panthers to put them up for good at 4-2.

“I was disappointed in a lot of respects, disappointed in the way we defended and that we let four goals in,” coach Andy Richards said. “I was impressed though, with the way we were able to come back and create good opportunities to score.”

In yesterday’s game, the Falcons lost a close one to Eastern Michigan, 1-0.

It was a game in which both teams got plenty of chances, but had trouble taking advantage of them. The first half went scoreless and was highlighted with big stops by falcon goalkeeper Ali Shingler, who made five stops in the half.

The second half went much like the first, with both teams getting chances and opportunities. However, with only 22 minutes left in the game, Eastern got the game-winner from Cyndi Mullins off a shot over top of Shingler.

Shingler made a season high eight saves on the day, but it wasn’t enough for the Falcons.

Bowling Green drops to (0-4 overall) and (0-1) in the MAC after the losses.

“I was disappointed in the result today, but the performance was much better in the game,” said Richards. “The bounces just went Eastern’s way in the game, but the performance was there and Ali Shingler played well in the net for us.”

The Falcons’ next game will be Friday at Cochrane Field against Central Michigan.