Tiffin welcomes the Tony Danza

Throughout the years, Tony Danza has literally done it all: boxing, acting, directing, producing and singing.

Wait, singing?

The same guy who played tough-talking, but lovable characters in shows like “Taxi” and “Who’s the Boss?” actually sings. Not only does Danza sing, but he is evidently quite the crooner.

This evening, at the Ritz Theatre in Tiffin, Ohio, fans will get to see just how good Danza croons when he performs songs off his debut album The House I Live In. The album is a collection of songs Danza grew up listening to from the likes of Frank Sinatra to Bing Crosby. Accompanying Danza will be a five-piece band.

The atmosphere of the show, according to Bruce Hannam, director of the Ritz Theatre, will be a “Las Vegas” type show.

Hannam said that for those who are going to see Danza perform tonight (he also dances), will be in for a good time, even though the Theatre will most likely have more than a few empty seats. The reason for lower than expected ticket sales, Hannam said, is because it’s a “bit of a new genre-a new shtick for Tony.”

“Some people just don’t know what to expect,” Hannam said. As far as the show is concerned, Hannam said that there will be “a lot of energy, but light-hearted. It won’t be anything too dramatic.” For Danza, who grew up in Brooklyn idolizing singers like Sinatra and Crosby, the songs on House, an album that is rapidly climbing the adult contemporary charts, are important to him, especially the album’s title track.

“It speaks of who we are and what we hold dear,” Danza said.

Prior to making his appearance in Tiffin, Danza made stops in Pennsylvania, and before that he made had a stint at the famed Carnegie Hall in New York City.

So why perform at the Ritz Theatre in little Tiffin, Ohio?

Hannam said the Ritz looks at a wide range of artists and entertainers and for Danza to come to the Theatre, all he had to do was look at the star’s popularity.

“There are a lot of people who are real Tony Danza fans,” Hannam said, who expects a mixed crowd of both young and old.

“Tony will bring the type of entertainment that yes, appeals to an older audience, but we think he’ll bring in a lot of people who grew up watching him on TV,” Hannam said.

The show will begin at 8 p.m. and tickets range from $33-$50. Contact the Ritz Theatre box office at 419-448-8544.