Court Street bakery offers taste of home

If you are looking for homemade baked goods and a relaxed atmosphere, Buggy Whip Cookies and Cakes is the place for you. At Buggy Whip, all of the baked goods are made from scratch everyday. They would not release their secret family recipes, but Jen St. Clair, the daughter of the owner and baker of Buggy Whip, was glad to show how they make their bakery products.

With the help of a large mixer they stir pounds of flour, butter, eggs, sugar and whatever other ingredients are needed such as chocolate chips and spices. After all of the ingredients are mixed together, they are scooped onto baking sheets which hold one dozen cookies each. Next up, five baking sheets are placed in the oven and any extra dough is placed in a large freezer.

There are 15 different kinds of cookies to choose from, from chocolate chip, which is Jen’s favorite, to molasses. The cookies are available on party trays, gift boxes or sold separately.

Buggy Whip also has coffee cakes, hand-rolled cinnamon rolls, muffins, turnovers and danish for the early morning customers. If all of this was not enough, they also specialize in baking wedding cakes.

“Business has been picking up now that the road construction is done,” said Jen St Clair who has been working at Buggy Whip for one and a half years. Buggy Whip Cookies and Cakes has been open for the past three years.

Recently Buggy Whip Cookies and Cakes purchased Java Supreme, which was located directly next door. The new name for this coffee house, which features homemade soup is Court Street Cafe.

The atmosphere in Court Street Cafe is very relaxing and home-like. When you walk in the door, it just might remind you of your grandmother’s house. There are small tables where you can sit and relax, or play a board game if you choose to.

“It is more cozy here because it is a house,” said customer Emily Forthofer while enjoying a cup of hot chocolate with her friend.

At night students come in to relax and during the day people come from the Wood County Court House to get some coffee or a bite to eat according to Jason St Clair, who also works for his mother Lois St Clair.

Chocolate Kiss Cookies

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup margarine, softened

½ cup white sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1¾ cups all-purpose flour

1 cup finely chopped walnuts

1 (6 ounce) bag milk chocolate candy kisses

1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration

Directions:

*In a large bowl, cream margarine with sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Mix in flour and walnuts, beating on low speed of an electric mixer until well mixed. Cover, and refrigerate dough for two hours or until firm enough to handle.

*Preheat oven to 375 degrees

* Remove wrappers from chocolate kisses. Shape approximately 1 tablespoon of dough around each chocolate kiss; be sure to cover chocolate completely. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.

*Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven. While cookies are still warm, roll them in confectioners’ sugar.

The Fastest Cinnamon Rolls

INGREDIENTS:

¾ cup dried cherries, blueberries, cranberries, golden raisins, or chopped prunes

Boiling water to cover

Dough:

¾ cup cottage cheese

1/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup cultured buttermilk

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus 2 tablespoons for brushing

1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

½ teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

Filling:

2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar

½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground allspice

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Vanilla Icing:

2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted

3 to 4 teaspoons cold cultured buttermilk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

* Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9-inch square or round baking pan. Set aside. Place the dried fruit in a small bowl and pour the boiling water over. Cover and set aside.

* Place the cottage cheese, sugar, buttermilk, 4 tablespoons melted butter, and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process until smooth.

* Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the workbowl and pulse until the dough clumps like a biscuit dough, 8 to 10 pulses. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently, folding the dough over and pushing it away from you 4 to 5 times, until the dough is smooth. Do not overwork the dough.

* Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to make a 12 by 15-inch rectangle. Brush the entire surface with the 2 tablespoons melted butter, leaving a ½-inch border around all the edges.

* To make the filling, combine the sugars, cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a medium bowl and sprinkle over the surface of the dough. Pat to press the sugar into the surface. Drain the dried fruit and pat dry with a paper towel. Distribute the fruit over the sugar mixture.

* Starting at the long edge, roll up the dough jelly-roll fashion. Pinch the seam to seal, leaving the ends open. With a sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 equal pieces. Set the rolls cut side up, showing the spiral design, in the baking pan.

* Place immediately on the center rack of the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm to the touch.

* Remove the pan from the oven and run a metal spatula around the edges of the rolls. Lift the rolls out of the pan one at a time, and place them right side up on a wire rack positioned over a plate or a piece of waxed paper.

* To glaze, place the ingredients for the icing in a small bowl or 2-cup liquid measuring cup (the spout makes pouring easy). Using a small wire whisk, beat until smooth and thick, pourable consistency. Adjust the consistency with additional drops of buttermilk.

* Drizzle the icing in a zigzag pattern over each roll. Let the rolls stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.