Remodeling at Kohl Hall

An idea that began last year is now becoming a reality, as the old infrastructure of Kohl is transformed into a more appropriate atmosphere so that students and professors can interact on a one-to-one level. The Chapman/Partners in context and Community-Living Learning Center at Kohl Hall is on its way.

The Chapman Learning Community, which is currently located in the Harshman Quadrangle, gives students the opportunity to not only participate in classes within the building, but to develop individual-based friendships with their professors.

The same principle will exist with the Chapman Learning Community as it moves to Kohl Hall.

Thomas Klein, English professor and director of the Chapman Learning Community, promotes the idea of the expansion of this program to other residence halls on campus.

“Students that choose to stay in Kohl will be able to utilize the new facilities that will be available throughout the building, as well as having faculty around to answer any question which they are able,” Klein said.

Some of the areas of construction include the following: remodeled rooms and bathrooms, 16 new faculty offices, as well as two director’s offices, a cafe and kitchen, two galleries and a garden room, an art studio and a recreation room.

“These new facilities will give students a chance to interact with faculty and one another not only enhancing students success within the classroom but also giving them a chance to build their skills outside of it,” Klein said.

Klein said that students learn better when they are placed in smaller group settings versus the large lecture halls, where it is hard for students to obtain help on an individual basis and ask questions freely within the classroom.

Bringing the learning community to Kohl Hall will just add that much more to its atmosphere said Klein.

Jim Zentmeyer, associate director of Residence Life said that the remodeling of Kohl was a task that had been needed to be done.

“The building was constructed in 1949 and up till now still had much of its original maintenance,” Zentmeyer said. “This project will give the residence hall the upgrade that it has needed for several years. The Chapman project adds another reason to go though with the updating of its infrastructure.”

Associate Director of Residence Life Tim Carney also spoke in favor of the renovation.

“Not only is Kohl going to have a new look to it, but it will also become a building of multipurpose,” Carney said in response to criticism given about the change.

This should not be look at as a bad thing he said, Kohl Hall is a building that already has many diverse groups of people living in it and bringing the Chapman community there will only add to that diversity.

“Change is not always bad. Granted some people may not like change but many times much good comes out of a new change to an old idea” Zentmeyer said, pointing out the positive goals of the transformation.

Carney addressed some of the concerns with room reservations and living spaces with current residence of Kohl Hall as well.

“People who are currently living in Kohl and wish to keep their rooms for the upcoming 2003-2004 school year should not have a problem,” Carney said. “People wishing to stay in Kohl are able to do so thus far.”