With Brown out, players step up

The women’s basketball team will enter tomorrow’s showdown against Toledo with an 8-5 record, and a 1-1 record in Mid-American Conference play.

But they may be without one of their top players for the rest of the season.

In a press conference yesterday, Falcons’ coach Curt Miller commented on his team’s progress this season, and on what they need to do to improve as they get further into conference play.

He also said that forward Pam Brown may have played her last game for BG.

“Her status is day-to-day,” Miller said. “And there is a high percentage chance that her career is done.”

Brown averaged 5.3 points and 3.4 rebounds in this season. She has been hampered by knee problems all year, playing off the bench in seven of BG’s 13 games.

With Brown’s future in doubt, Miller said that center Jill Lause will see more playing time in the BG front court. Lause averaged 4.3 points and 2.7 rebounds in 12 games. Miller said Lause has had an impact and has continued to improve.

“Jill’s intensity level in practice has greatly improved since the beginning of the year, and she has taken giant steps forward,” Miller said. “She has a great opportunity now because the minutes are going to be there for her.”

The Falcons have compiled a 7-4 non-conference record. Miller said that while he is pleased with the team’s play, the team needs to play well in the Western Division of the MAC. In their game on Saturday, the Falcons were defeated 78-58 in Northern Illinois.

“I’m happy with where we’re at, but Northern [Illinois] gave us a shot to the ribs,” Miller said. “It brought reality back to us in a hurry that we still need to concentrate and do the little things if we are going to be successful.”

One of the things Miller said that the Falcons need to improve on is rebounding. In the loss to Northern Illinois, the Falcons were out-rebounded 44-24. Miller said that while the team’s style of offense was in part responsible for the lack of offensive rebounding, he said it was not an excuse for it.

“They have to pursue the ball and rebound from the arc … and be able to get long rebounds,” Miller said. “Defensively, we just have to bear down and be more physical. There is no reason we can’t be a better defensive rebounding team then we are.”

Miller praised the play of guard Lindsay Austin, who he said is the team’s catalyst.

“Lindsay Austin has had a great year,” Miller said. “It’s no secret that as she goes, we go.”

Austin, who missed two games early in the season because of an injury, is averaging 10.2 points a game, and is second on the team with 24 steals.

Miller said he was also pleased with the leadership shown by Francine Miller. The forward is leading BG in points per game (13.9), steals (30), and rebounds (71). Coach Miller said that her leadership, has really been a factor in the early conference games. He also gave credit to BG’s other upper classmen for stepping up their emotion.

“The seniors and upperclassmen’s intensity has really risen,” Miller said. “You can see a lot of focus in their eyes now that it’s conference play.”

BG will continue its conference schedule tomorrow when they travel to Toledo. The tip-off is at 7 p.m.