U. alumni present $3M check during conference

Yesterday the University was presented with a $3 million check from William and Beverly Dallas and Scott and Tracie Hamilton. The check was handed out at the “Turning Passion Into Enterprise Seminar for Entrepreneurs” in the first Bob and Karen Sebo lecture series.

The presentation featured several guest speakers, including William Dallas, co-founder of Fox Sports Grill, and Olympian and alumnus Scott Hamilton.

Hamilton said he was amazed and happy to be in a position where he could present the University with such a gift.

“It’s extraordinary to look at this, and go, wow,” Hamilton said, “I never thought I’d see a day when I’d be able to stand up here and help young people see and achieve their dreams.”

Dallas echoed Hamilton’s statements.

“It’s with great honor that we’re able to do this today,” he said.

Robert Edmister, the dean of the college of business administration, said the University is greatly appreciative of the gift, and plans to use it wisely.

“We will use [the money] as good servants for years to come,” he said.

Students in attendance were excited about the contribution.

“It will be able to fund many things that will be great for the University and the entrepreneurial center,” Junior Adam Davenport said.

Sophomore Alex Wright said, “I think it was a good event, and great for the University as a whole.”

University President Sidney Ribeau described the presentation as “moving and gratifying,” and said the entrepreneurs embodied one of the Universities core values, creative imaginings.

Ribeau said creative imaginings “is about seeking possibilities and moving in directions where your beliefs take you,” and Hamilton and Dallas had done just that.

Hamilton, after winning a gold medal in 1984, co-created and co-produced a skating show called “Stars on Ice,” and served as a commentator for CBS sports during the Winter Olympics. He has also independently produced several ice shows.

Dallas graduated magna cum laude from BGSU in 1977, and started his entrepreneurial career soon after, co-founding and serving as CEO Of First Franklin Financial Corp., and the Heritage Bank of Commerce. He now serves as chairman and CEO of Ownit Mortgage Solutions.

Other speakers included the Executive-in-Residence for the College of Business Administration Dave Francisco, and B. Thomas Golisano, the 2004 international philanthropist of the year, and others.