Senior shares perils of senioritis

It’s that time of year again for that dreaded disease known by many as senioritis to surface. Many students have had this disease since they came to the University, but don’t realize how deadly it actually can be until they go through their final semester of classes.

How do I know this? That’s simple. I am trying to survive a severe case of it right now. And just like 95 percent of the students who go here, I am notorious for doing my homework at the last minute. When you have senioritis, not only do you put things off, but you begin to not worry about school. There are too many other important things going on in your life by this point.

For me, I am too worried about what the H-E-double-hockey-sticks I am going to do when I get out of here. And the worst part about it all, is that I realize that the best years of my life are about to end. It is a disappointing reality when you realize that your weekends aren’t going to begin on Thursdays anymore too. You finally realize that after four or five years, how lucky you really were to be at a place like this.

This is why and how, senioritis takes over your body. When you know that you are about to leave the easy life to join the workforce, and thus try to make the most of the time you have left in college. It is kind of like if you knew you were going to lose your eyesight in one month. In that last month, just like the last month of college when senioritis kicks in, most people would take in as much as they possibly could while they still can. This is why when you have senioritis that term paper or exam in your class suddenly becomes a little less important. Many people with senioritis don’t even bother setting their alarm to go to class in the morning. The funny thing is you actually start to miss things you dreaded in the past. Who would have ever thought you would miss going to class with a hangover, or walking through a living room that looks like a landfill on Friday morning.

Some students with senioritis try to deny they have it, but as soon as they leave you always hear them say they wish they were back in school. I have had a slight case of senioritis since the start of my senior year, which was last year.

For the first time in my life I feel old. Even if I was able to come back for another year, my body is so worn out that I don’t think it could handle the college lifestyle anymore.

Waking up at three in the evening and drinking by five takes a toll on your body after a few years. I can remember waking up in the morning during my freshman year still drunk from the night before, now I just get really bad hangovers.

If I even attempted to party how I used to my first two years here, I would either die from alcohol poisoning or be passed out on my couch constantly. Where else other than Bowling Green can you find multiple people who are looking to party any day or time of the week?

When you have senioritis you also begin to notice that many of your good friends are gone, and you are going to be leaving the ones that are yet to graduate. For me, that is by far the most difficult part about senioritis.

All of the good and bad memories that you had with your friends begin to hit you all at once. However, the only good side affect of senioritis is that many of your bad memories make you laugh when you look back at them.

When I started going to school here, I had no idea what senioritis was and to be honest, didn’t think I would make it to my senior year. But with a little hard work and a lot of late nights, it wasn’t as hard as I expected it to be.

Because this is a my last article, and I am writing for the BGNews, please bear with me while I give a shout-out to everybody who helped me make it this far. My parents, hometown friends, grandma, The Pulse staff, the flash, juggalo family, “Titty,” Trepal, Donnie, Joe B, Tony O, Nora, Sally, Tara, Ashley, Alyssa and most importantly, all of the brothers of Phi Delta Theta.