Workshops offer career planning

Finding the right internship can be stressful and confusing, but the Career Center and Education Abroad offices want students to know they’re here to help.

Deborah Worley, assistant director of Career Services, and Nicole Myers, an Education Abroad counselor, held a workshop in the Union yesterday and explained different resources available to students, and offered tips on what to do when looking for an internship.

The Internet is one of the best resources available to students, Worley said, because students have the opportunity to search for jobs all over the country and abroad, and also the chance to find specific internships.

During the workshop she listed several websites, such as www.jobprospector.com, www.columbusjobs.com and others, which provide useful information about internships and co-ops.

Worley also explained what students should do when looking for an internship.

“Sit down and think about it. Plan your search well, and execute the search well,” Worley said.

Worley recommended students map out realistic goals for finding an internship, co-op or job.

“Prioritize as much as you can and don’t overwhelm yourself. You should set and meet deadlines, but pace yourself, and keep track of things,” Worley said. “The biggest thing is to let people know you’re looking, and what you’re looking for.”

Getting your name out and networking with people who may eventually be able to help you get an internship or a job is the point, Worley said.

Remember to keep track of the companies you have had contact with, Worthy said.

She recommends keeping a log detailing who was contacted, how they were contacted, and what was said. Doing so helps organize the job search, and also helps students weed out employers who have not responded, Worley said.

A common approach to contacting a company is to first send an e-mail with your resume and other information attached, Worley said. Then, wait about a week and half and see if you receive anything. If you do not, send a second e-mail to confirm that the company received your information. Then, if you still do not receive anything from the company, call them and see what they say. After that, she said it is a good idea to move on to the next company. Worley said this is just one of many different ways to approach a company, and that advisors from the Career Service and Education Abroad offices are always willing to help students figure out the most effective ways to contact an employer.

“There are a lot of options in all different locations and industries and we’re just here to help students uncover them,” Worley said. Worley said yesterday’s workshop is just one of several they will be sponsoring this semester.

Edtior’s Note: For more information or for help finding an internship, job or co-op, students can stop by the Career Service’s office in 310 Saddlemire, the Educational Abroad office in 1109 Offenhauer West, or call 372-2451.