DM’s efforts shine at SeaGate Centre

TOLEDO–Jared Wright knew that the University’s Dance Marathon had made an impact on northwest Ohio, but he didn’t really have any proof, he says, until yesterday.

Surrounded by almost 400 professionals representing organizations like Hospice of Northwest Ohio and United Way of Greater Toledo, the University’s Dance Marathon was named this year’s Outstanding Philanthropist at an awards luncheon yesterday in the SeaGate Convention Centre. The 16th annual ceremony was a National Philanthropy Day event sponsored by the Association of Fundraising Professionals and Leave a Legacy.

“I really think (the award) shows that Dance Marathon has finally reached out to the community so much that we are being recognized,” said Wright, director of this year’s Dance Marathon. “We’ve just become so large and so helpful that they feel that they can recognize us.”

In its 10th year at the University, Dance Marathon–a series of fundraisers ending with a 32-hour dancing event–raises money for the Children’s Miracle Network, benefiting Mercy Children’s Hospital. It is the largest student-run philanthropy in Ohio and ranks among the top five Dance Marathons in the nation.

The organization was the first group to receive the award. Past recipients include University alumnus and Sandusky philanthropist George Mylander and frequent donors to the University Helen McMaster and her late husband Harold.

The McMaster’s Foundation was recognized at yesterday’s ceremony as the year’s Outstanding Private Foundation and former University Board of Trustee member and co-chair of a recent financial campaign Kermit F. Stroh was recognized as one of 13 Outstanding Community Volunteers in the Toledo area.

Wright accepted Dance Marathon’s award for the organization yesterday, thanking all BGSU students and community members who have supported the fundraiser in the past.

“Really, I should not be standing up here. The thousands of Bowling Green students that participate in Dance Marathon each year in over the past 10 years really should be standing up here,” he said. “Not I, because I’m not the one who gives.”

Receiving the award this year despite last year’s somewhat disappointing donation total is impressive, said Kelly Bright, assistant director of publicity for Dance Marathon.

“I think it’s cool because we got the award even though we didn’t meet our goal last year,” she said. “This shows that we’re still getting recognized for the good that we do. People still know who we are.”

Dance Marathon raised $150,316.81 last year, about $94,683 less than the previous year.

But like last year, Dance Marathon committee members aren’t placing too much emphasis on meeting any specific dollar amount, Wright said.

“The Steering Committee did not set a goal personally, just to do our best and to raise as much money possible for Children’s Miracle Network and the (Mercy Children’s Hospital),” he said.

But the more money, the more they can help.

“It is for the kids, but at the same time the money is a huge part of Dance Marathon, because that’s what actually helps the children the most,” Wright said. Money given to the hospital goes towards purchasing equipment like incubators, sending children with Spina Bifida to specialized camps and medical research.

For Brittany Barhite, publicity chair with Dance Marathon, the award also means another way students who may not know about the organization can get interested and become involved.

“There’s always a challenge to create awareness and get people to continue doing it,” she said. “Hopefully those that have been involved with Dance Marathon will feel rewarded and it will create publicity and people will think ‘hey, what is this?’ This award is really an honor and I hope it will create that kind of awareness.”