New IFC leader eager to start

By Carrie Whitaker

Editor-in-Chief

Andy Crockett was never involved in anything in high school, but when he got into college he decided to change that.

And he wasn’t kidding. By the end of his freshman year he had two leadership positions — one in his fraternity and one in the Inter-fraternity Council.

Just this week, now in his third year at the University, he has begun his term as IFC president and says he has big plans for the group.

IFC is the governing body of 17 of the fraternities on campus.

“Our job is to set standards for our individual IFC fraternities and to enforce them and hold groups accountable,” Crockett said.

According to many who know Crockett he is ready for the position.

“The passion he brings toward the council and desire to see it succeed is going to make him one of the best IFC presidents,” said Dan Grodhaus, president of Crockett’s fraternity Lambda Chi Alpha. “Everything he gets involved in he puts 100 percent into — he is by far one of the most dedicated people I know.”

Crockett believes that it is brothers like Grodhaus, who pushed him to take the initiative and become a leader.

“Being in Lambda Chi Alpha has really changed my life and I am so glad the brothers invited me to join because that is what started me being involved, something I never was before.”

This job means a lot to Crockett, who has been preparing for the position by taking previous positions on the council, including scholarship chair and vice president of internal affairs.

“I really wanted to [be president], not for a resume, but because this is what I like and this is the involvement I have wanted to be in,” Crockett said. “Some people are in a bunch of things, but I decided to pick one thing and go all out, for me it was fraternity life.”

Being Greek also runs in the family. Growing up in Ann Arbor, Michigan, both of Crockett’s parents are Greek, his mother graduated from Bowling Green and is an Alpha Xi Delta. His father is a Theta Xi and was president of his fraternity at Wayne State University in Michigan.

“They were very supportive when I decided to go Greek and have always been supportive of everything I have done,” Crockett said.

This year, Crockett hopes to continue IFC’s goals to push for Greeks to excel in academics and to recruit more members. Understanding IFC’s place in the Bowling Green community is also important, Crockett said.

“We need to know what has happened in our history so we can move forward and not move around in circles,” Crockett said. “Our goal is to be a positive member of this community.”

Ron Binder, associate director of Greek Life, said Crockett has established himself as a strong leader in their community thus far and will make a great president.

“He is very diligent — when he gets an idea he does a lot to follow through with it and I think that has been one of his strengths,” Binder said.

Binder said it is important that Crockett recognizes the importance of supporting the other three Greek boards on campus, Panhellenic Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Greek Independent Board.

“The other council presidents are happy with Andy,” Binder said. “Because it is not just that he says he wants to be involved with you all, he is involved and I think it will strengthen our Greek community.”

Crocket’s presidency began this week and will end at the closure of the fall 2005 semester. With many Greeks depending on him, Grodhaus is certain he will fulfill his duties.

“I think Andy knows more about the Greek life system than a lot of people on campus do,” Grodhaus said. “He can raise the bar and it will be beneficial for all of us because he can become a great IFC president.”

2005 Inter-Fraternity Council Executive Board:

President: Andrew Crockett, Lambda Chi Alpha

VP of Internal Affairs: Troy Tice, Kappa Sigma

VP of External Affairs: Matt Humberger, Alpha Sigma Phi

Director of Recruitment: Dave Chambliss, Sigma Phi Epsilon

Executive Assistant: Roger Dudley, Pi Kappa Alpha

Treasurer: Aaron Shumaker, Alpha Sigma Phi

Chief Justice: Chris NeCamp,