Seniors leave on high note at Doyt

For the Bowling Green football team, games don’t get much bigger than Saturday’s.

The Falcons were trying to send their seniors out on a high note in their last game at Doyt L. Perry Stadium.

They were trying to send Marshall out on a sour note in their last game against the Falcons as a member of the Mid-American Conference.

And they were hoping to keep their chances of winning the MAC West alive with a win that would force a three-way tie.

Each of their three missions were accomplished when they laid waste to Marshall in a 56-35 drubbing.

“That was a hell of a win for our seniors,” BG head coach Gregg Brandon said. “They won more games than any Bowling Green [class] in our history and they put up the most points ever against Marshall.”

The Falcons took it to the Herd from the get-go, going into the half with a 35-20 lead. They stretched their lead to as many as 28 points in the fourth quarter and humiliated the Herd’s defense, which was ranked first in the MAC coming into the game.

And even though the Falcons’ offense was happy with their numbers, they know they could’ve put up more as they let time expire at the end of the game with the ball on Marshall’s three yard line.

“I wanted to score one more on them,” BG senior center Scott Mruczkowski said. “It was great to give them that loss as a going away present.”

It wasn’t all fun for the Falcons, though, as play was stopped with 20 seconds left in the first half when wide receiver Cornelius McGrady went down with an injury. The senior lay motionless on the field before an ambulance took him off the field.

The team was worried about McGrady, but it was found out that he just suffered a concussion.

“I think Corn’s going to be okay,” Brandon said. “I think he just got a good old fashioned slobber knocker.”

Other than the injury to McGrady, the day couldn’t have gone better for the Falcons.

For senior safety Keon Newson, he wishes the season wasn’t coming so close to an end.

“Being around these guys is so much fun,” Newson said of his team. “There’s so much love on this team and we are all just about each other.”

That love was given back to Newson and the seniors from sophomore quarterback Omar Jacobs.

“We just wanted to send our seniors out on top,” he said. “I don’t think they ever beat Marshall and we wanted to send them out winners at the Doyt.”

The Falcons accomplished that mission, up next is a game at Toledo, Nov. 23.