Letters to the Editor: Thursday, October 7, 2004

Ceremony was a fitting tribute

I would like to thank the staff of the Women’s Center as well as those others involved in the Silent Witness Unveiling Ceremony which took place Wednesday over the noon hour.

The ceremony served as both a beautiful tribute to women who were murdered as a result of domestic violence as well as a thought provoking message to become involved in preventing this from occurring to others.

As was pointed out, domestic violence touches all of our lives in numerous ways, and shows no sign of waning any time soon.

I’m most grateful to Mary Krueger and her staff for their consistent and dedicated efforts and consider myself fortunate to have them as colleagues.

ROB CUNNINGHAM, DIRECTOR DISABILITY SERVICES

Don’t print propaganda

As the days countdown to the ballot casting of the general election on Nov. 2nd; high school students and college alike live in fear. They live in fear of the continuous threat that if President George W. Bush is re-elected the draft will be re-instituted.

Sen. Kerry and Sen. Edwards both warn of the president’s under-handedness saying that a draft will be necessary due to President Bush’s supposed mishandling of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Even the latest attempt by “Democrats for Democracy” to scare the youthful public has succeeded naively; thanks impart to a biased member of the BGNews staff. This person should be held accountable and reprimanded for making a mockery of a wonderful college newspaper. A paper must remain impartial an unbiased if it wishes to achieve a minute morsel of credibility.

Recently, the U.S. House of Representatives voted down HR 163. HR 163 “A bill to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes.” Who sponsored this bill? Rep. Charles Rangel did, a democrat, not just him but also fourteen other democrats as well. In the Senate a similar bill exists sponsored by Sen. Hollings, a democrat from South Carolina.

On the other hand President Bush and his cabinet remain firm on there statements. “No we are not going to- we do not need the draft” President Bush remarked, in Florida August 10th.

“And the notion that somebody’s peddling out there that there is a secret plan to reinstitute the draft, hogwash, not true.” Vice President Cheney 9/29/04

The President has expressed his plan for the future and his lack of need for the draft. Sen. Kerry on the other hand supports the idea of a draft as expressed in a WLVI interview that aired on Sept 26.

Do not believe the scare tactics of “Democrats for Democracy” or any other group. Do your own research. Read the records. Make your own decision. Vote for the candidate that will keep you, your friends and your family safe from terror at home and abroad. Above all else vote.

Kevin J. Mellott

Candidate Wood County Commissioner