Letters for Monday, Sept. 13, 2004

Alum’s actions toward Krebs not admirable

This letter is being written in response to a letter to the editor entitled “Language by Falcon A.D. was offensive,” published Friday. After reading the letter I felt as though Mr. Andy Jenkins was a bit out of line along with Mr. Krebs, the Falcon Athletic Director. While Mr. Jenkins’ 1,000 mile road trip to watch the Falcons play Oklahoma was admirable, his actions towards Mr. Krebs were certainly not.

With a sarcastic comment such as, “I would just like to thank you for getting rid of our men’s swim team, steeped in more than 50 years of history and tradition, to put in the lights at the Doyt,” what was Mr. Jenkins expecting, a warm response? A lot of athletes were frustrated with Title IX, but how long must you hold resentment (especially since Mr. Jenkins graduated three years ago)?

Moreover, who is to say that Mr. Krebs is solely responsible for the decision to put lights in at the Doyt? I’m sure Mr. Krebs perhaps gave Mr. Jenkins some “choice words,” but Mr. Jenkins got the response he deserved for making such a comment.

RICK SUSOR

STUDENT

Kerry criticism lacks truth, responsibility

In Thursday’s opinion section, Chris Renner wrote that we should all “try to be politically responsible.” I agree. Unfortunately, there was barely a word in Mr. Renner’s article that showed any responsibility for the truth. First, he claims that Senator Kerry is against “No Child Left Behind.” However, Mr. Kerry has always supported this legislation but has criticized President Bush for failing to fully fund the mandates imposed by this federal law. Bush’s policy has resulted in higher property taxes and/or cuts to athletics, the arts and after-school programs.

Second, he claims that Senator Kerry voted against giving the troops the $87 billion for body armor and weapons. A careful check of the records would show that two bills were placed in front of the Senate. Both provided the $87 billion. One increased the federal deficit, the other showed fiscal responsibility by not reducing the federal deficit through a temporary tax on those making $400,000 a year. Kerry voted for the latter but the Republicans instead voted to increase the deficit to record levels. The critical question you should be asking: Why did the commander-in-chief send our troops into Iraq knowing they didn’t have the proper equipment in the first place?

In regards to attendance, Mr. Bush holds the record for the most vacation days taken by any president in American history — 40 percent according to most analysts. Mr. Renner concludes by saying “people as ignorant as you shouldn’t even be given a vote in the first place.” Unless he starts taking responsibility to find and report the truth, I think he should heed his own words.

KEN DYMOND

ALUMNUS

CLASS OF 2003