Protestors’ run-in with the law

It’s estimated that 500,000 American citizens marched through the streets of Manhattan on Sunday, in what has proven to be one of the most successfully coordinated campaigns of political dissent in American history. I was with them in the trenches, and this is their story. For four days, I called the South Bronx home. Jeff Nolish, president of BGSU’s ReachOut, allowed me to stay with his group, as well a host of other counterculture activists.Many have come from as far away as California, some traveling cross country with little or no money. Those without any cash in their pockets rely on the routine disposal of old food behind grocery stores, also known as “dumpstering.” Some here at the University may cringe at that thought, but when you have no money to feed yourself, the mold on a loaf of expired bread can easily be picked off. Friday, August 27 was my first experience with a political demonstration of mass proportions. Starting at 7 p.m., over 8,000 people gathered in Union Square on their bicycles and rode as a group uptown. A sea of two-wheelers occupied Broadway Ave. for 45 minutes as traffic sat idle, witness to the first of what would be many mass demonstrations in the days to come.More than 150 action groups have made their way to New York City in order to protest what they feel has been a very destructive term under President George W. Bush. In order to compete on the same level as the Republican National Committee, many of these groups took the initiative as early as last year to begin organizing and coordinating the itineries for every registered radical group in the United States. An official “People’s Guide to the Republican National Convention” was developed, compiling an incredible amount of information. These compact, foldable resources include everything from information on legal aid service to cheap restaurants and church sanctuaries and have proven to be the most valuable information source a protestor can have this week in New York City. For most protestors, Sunday was the most important date of the past week. Sponsored by United for Peace and Justice, the attendance numbers for this demonstration have been reported anywhere from 100,000 people to 600,000 people. I’m amazed how the measurement of protest crowds can fluctuate so much with each media outlet. After attending the UFPJ march through Manhattan, I can tell you with every bit of confidence in the world that from the noon starting time through five o’clock p.m. the crowd consistently filled the street from curb to curb. When compared to the one-year anniversary march to protest the Iraq War last February(500,000), the size of Sunday’s UFPJ crowd was of equal size. Around 5:30 p.m., while I was in Union Square eating a taco with extra lettuce, my friends walked into what would be one of the most demoralizing experiences of their lives. Jeff Nolish, and a friend who we will call Cara due to her request for anonymity, turned onto 7th Ave. 46th Street. and walked directly into a crowd of photographers who were interested in a confrontation across the street. Before an order to disperse was given, The NYPD surrounded the group with flexible orange fencing and placed everyone under arrest. These arrestees, along with countless others from around the city, were taken by bus to a warehouse on Pier 57 near the docks. Here, hundreds of protestors were held anywhere from 10-20 hours in a warehouse that had previously been used to store motor vehicles. The floor of these security pens was covered in diesel fuel, and, with limited metal bench space, a majority of those imprisoned overnight were forced to sleep on the oily ground. The NYCLU is moving quickly to address reports of individuals who’ve been housed at Pier 57 and have reported respiratory problems, rashes and chemical burns upon release. Because Jeff and Cara were not released from jail until Monday afternoon, I spent the entire day at the courthouse waiting for them. I did not have an opportunity to attend any rallies or marches on Monday. As of Tuesday evening, mass acts of civil disobediance have risen dramatically in New York City. Sixteen seperate acts were scheduled by a group called A-31, who has declared Tuesday a day of “nonviolent direct action.” At the point of production, arrest numbers were not available from Tuesday’s A-31