Family, friends recall student Randy Miller

Dedicated just doesn’t cut it.

It’s hard for employees at Al-Mar Bowling Lanes to find a word that describes what co-worker Randy Miller contributed over the years.

Miller, 24, was killed Saturday afternoon in an off-road motorcycle crash at Maumee State Forest in Fulton County. A 1998 graduate of Bowling Green High School, Miller was a sophomore at the University pursuing a degree in business management.

Working at the bowling lane since he graduated from Bowling Green High School in 1998, Miller could fill any role at any time–cooking, bartending, helping customers at the front counter, working in the stock room.

“He was a jack of all trades around here really,” said co-worker Chris Bloom. “I think he thrived on everything. He could do pretty much anything.”

And he took the hard days in stride, keeping laughter a part of the job, said co-worker Pancsha Melendrez.

“He was just a fun loving guy,” she said. “He was always trying to make everyone laugh.”

For his mother Barbara, this was one aspect of her son’s personality that will be hard to forget.

“He certainly had a sense of humor,” she said. “(It was) kind of a sarcastic one at times, but he would always say ‘aw, Mom, you know I’m just kidding.'”

Miller was killed Saturday while operating a KTM off-road motorcycle in a wooded area at the state forest. According to Andy Ware, assistant chief of forestry for the Ohio Division of Forestry, Miller was riding on a trail not specified for off-road vehicles and that somehow he lost control of the bike, hitting a tree.

Miller suffered critical injuries to his head and spine and efforts to save his life were unsuccessful. He was wearing a helmet.

“The only thing that we can say is that he was riding on an unauthorized trail and for whatever reason lost control and struck a tree,” Ware said.

This fall was Miller’s first time back on campus after he spent the last several years working, saving money to earn his degree, Barbara said. Hard work was something her son thrived on, she said, as he worked four jobs up until the time fall classes got underway. Besides Al-Mar, Miller had also worked at the Flower Basket and Nate ‘ Wally’s.

“He said he was going to do everything he could not to fall behind on his schoolwork,” she said.

“He became my friend as he got older,” Barbara said, choking back tears. “He was a good kid.”

Miller is also survived by his father Ronald C. of Grand Rapids; brothers Ronald of Bowling Green and Chris of Holland; a half brother and half sister, Robbie and Courtney Miller, both of Grand Rapids; and grandparents, Clifford Miller of Findlay; Harold and Ginny Tivenan, Upper Sandusky and; and Carol Tivenan, Harpster.

A Celebration of Life Service will be held today for Miller at 10:30 a.m. at the Dunn Funeral Home, 408 W. Wooster St.