Cutbacks being considered by SHS

The removal of X-ray, physical therapy and clinical laboratory services at the Health Center is currently being considered in what, University officials say, is an attempt to improve future access to primary care services on campus.

Primary care refers to the attention and initial diagnosis a student receives from a physician, before they are referred elsewhere for further care.

Keeling ‘ Associates, a consultation firm that was hired by the University last spring to evaluate the resources of Student Health Services, has made these recomendations.

According to Vice President of Student Affairs Bettina Shuford, keeping these services may not be cost effective.

“The bottom line is SHS won’t be getting more resources,” Shuford said. “Health costs are going up each year, so we need to get the best use out of our service space as possible.”

Removing these options would free up space and other resources, providing a better opportunity for physicians to see students who come in with more basic needs.

“Long waits are far too common for students right now,” Shuford said. “Physicians need more space, and with limited resources we must focus on what is needed most.”

In their report, Keeling ‘ Associates also reccomend directing more funds to replace the Center’s current technology information system, along with an extension of operation hours to include the weekend. SHS is currently only open Monday through Friday.

Those who need X-ray or physical therapy services would be required to visit Wood County Hospital, and much of the Health Center’s clinical labwork may be sent to WCH as well.

If these services are dropped, students will notice a difference in price.

At Wood County Hospital a chest X-ray costs $106, which does not include additional evaluation fees from a medical doctor. The price of a basic two-view X-ray at the Student Health Center is $110, with this price being all-inclusive.

The cost of a sexual disease profile may also differ for students. For example, SHS offers a joint test for the sexually transmitted diseases chlamydia and gonorrhea at the single price of $31.50. At Wood County Hospital a chlamydia profile alone is currently $32, all STD tests are done seperately, and each price ranges from $25-$40.

The costs of physical therapy would remain the same because Wood County Hospital currently works through the Student Health Center to provide this service to students on campus two days a week.

While the efforts to improve primary care accessability will benefit students on campus, the potential loss of programs highlighted by the report may inconvenience the student body.

The lack of transportation to WCH is something that was not addressed in the report by Keeling ‘ Associates. This issue could pose a problem, some students say, for those who’ve sustained a major injury and face months of physical therapy at the hospital.

As a figure skater and honor student, freshman Ashley Van-Slyke, like many students, faces a barrage of responsibilities each day of the week.

“I don’t have time to go off-campus [for an injury],” she said, “and without a car, why should I have to ask friends for a ride?”

The timetable for all decisions being made by SHS is currently in flux. According to Director ‘ Chief Physician Glenn Egelman, specific committees are evaluating each of the recomendations made by Keeling ‘ Associates.

“No decision will be rushed into,” Egelman said.

If a University-sponsored transportation program were not provided, other options may include campus police and local taxi-cab services.

For freshman Jacqui Vitou, even a cab ride is not the answer.

“I think they [SHS] should provide transportation,” she said. “Calling a cab will only add more to the costs.”

Jonathan Pimpas, junior, understands the feelings of concerned underclassmen. In Nov. 2001, Pimpas tore his ACL while playing recreational basketball in high school. He spent the next six months in physical therapy strengthening his knee.

“It would have been tough to rehab without help driving,” said Pimpas. “Not everyone has that option. I think the right thing to do would be a once-a-day shuttle service from the University to the hospital.”