Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Bowling Green’s clean energy

Recently, the University activated 500 solar panels on top of the ice arena.

The production results of the solar panels is still in question because use of the panels has just begun.

The University and city’s commitment expanding our Green Energy program should be commended.

The Green Energy program in BG is the first in Ohio. Local utility customers can pay a surcharge depending on the amount of green power they choose to use.

BG residents should be proud that the Bowling Green Energy program ranks in the top ten in the country.

Money for the solar panels came from several sources, including surcharges that green energy participants paid.

The strong support for green energy shows the community’s willingness to move forward technologically.

Ninety percent of Ohio’s energy is produced by coal, which produces carbon dioxide, which leads to global warming. Another side effect of energy produced through coal is acid rain.

The environmental effects are just one facet of the argument for green energy.

As evidenced by high oil prices, and consequently high gas prices, and the recent California energy crisis, it is clear that non-renewable energy resources can not be depended on in the future.

The use of green energy allows the town and University to be less dependent on less cleaner sources of energy.

During this election season, talk of reducing dependency on foreign oil, green energy program’s may be the answer.

Previously, all of BG’s green energy had been produced by a hydroelectric power plant located on the Ohio River. Last year, wind turbines were added to the green energy program.

Many have noticed the wind turbines located just outside of town. Two more are to be added later this year. Finally, something good will come out of the vicious, biting wind that we all experience during the winters here in our lovely town.

Now with the addition of the solar panels, BG has diversified it’s green energy resources.

As it stands, green energy cannot replace the power needs of BG.

However, the program reinvests funds from the green energy consumer into the green energy program. So as more sign up, Bowling Green Energy gets more powerful.