Local man arrested for shooting

A Bowling Green man has been charged on several felony counts today for an early Wednesday morning shooting that sent another local man to the hospital while another escaped injury. The shooting occurred in the Sterling Store parking lot, 103 North Prospect St. as approximately 2 a.m.

The suspect, Brian T. Steen, 22, of Liberty Street, Bowling Green, asked for a preliminary hearing before pleading to charges at his arraignment 8:30 a.m. today.

One of two victims, Matthew R. Llanas, 20, of Eighth Street, was shot twice in the legs and taken to Wood County Hospital and later transported to St. Vincent’s Hospital in Toledo.

According to one of Llanas’ family members who asked to stay anonymous, Llanas is currently at St. Vincent’s hospital in Toledo after being transported from Wood County Hospital. As of noon yesterday he still had one bullet lodged in his knee, according to the source.

The charges against Steen include inducing panic, a felony of the fourth degree, improper discharging a firearm at or into a habitation or school safety zone, a felony of the second degree, and two counts of felonious assault, each a felony of the second degree.

Steen’s preliminary hearing will take place 1 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 22 in Bowling Green Municipal Court.

Another individual, Josaph McGlaughlin, 22, of Wayne, Ohio, escaped injury as his shirt was punctured by one bullet, but missed his body, according to the police.

Lieutenant Bradley Biller of the Wood County Police Department verified that more than five shots had been fired and some hit the BW-3 restaurant, 176 E. Wooster St., across the intersection.

“That’s part of the reason we filed the discharging firearm into habitation against him,” Biller said.

Steen was apprehended after the incident in the vicinity of Prospect and Ridge Streets, where he was taken into custody without further incident.

When he was apprehended, the alleged weapon, a loaded 40-caliber handgun, was found in the suspect’s car, Biller said.

None of the people involved were students.

An investigation is under way by the Bowling Green Police Division, the Wood County Prosecutor’s Office and the Ohio Bureau of Identification and Investigation.

Steen’s bond has been set for $50,000 and he is currently being held at the Wood County Justice Center.