OU not ready in NCAA game

With the Bowling Green football team’s matchup against Oklahoma coming closer and closer on the horizon, one can’t help but ponder what the outcome of the game will be.

Oklahoma could come out fired up after a disappointing end to last season and ride into battle with all cylinders firing and their Heisman quarterback having a career day, proving to all doubters their dominance and covering their hefty spread.

Bowling Green could make some plays early, get a lead and compete with the Sooners before dropping to the national powerhouse much like Virginia Tech did this past weekend.

It’s even possible that scenario number two plays out with some Cole Magner magic happening to give the Falcons’ faithful a just reason to party.

But then there’s scenario number four, the NCAA Football 2005 scenario that plays out much differently and much more favorably for BG, just the way it did on my Playstation early this morning.

The game’s commentators agreed with the nation’s top prognosticators in the guess that Oklahoma was too powerful.

“Expect a career day from their quarterback,” said Kirk Herbstreit, referring to Heisman trophy winner Jason White.

Lee Corso added in that this would be an easy running day for the Sooners.

They knew little about the carnage that was to come.

Oklahoma won the coin toss and took the ball to start the game and exchanged possessions with the Falcons.

The Sooners didn’t score until their kicker Tre DiCarlo split the uprights on a 32-yard field goal, giving the home team a 3-0 lead.

On the sidelines, BG players were in a rage

Angriest of all was James Hawkins, who would have a career day thanks in part to some sure hands and constant double teams of fellow wide outs Cole Magner and Charles Sharon.

It would be on this next drive that Hawkins would score his first of three touchdowns, the first of which was a 69 yarder from the sure arm of Omar Jacobs to end the first quarter.

What cyber ESPN Sportscenter commentators would call the “James Hawkins Show” continued in the second quarter when Jacobs again found the wide out, this time for a 34-yard touchdown, which gave the Falcons a 14-3 lead going into the second half, a half BG’s defense would dominate

It was on Oklahoma’s first drive of the second half that Daniel Sayles swept in for a game breaking sack, prompting Herbstreit to note that “the coach might want to get him out of there before he gets hurt.”

After all, it was the team’s eighth sack of the afternoon and White was clearly in trouble.

The Sooners’ trouble continued on consecutive plays, as the Jacobs to Hawkins express rode again for gains of 44 and 36 yards, the second of which put the Falcons on top 21-6.

At this point, the crowd started to calm down and it looked like the Falcons were going to put away the mighty Sooners for good. It was at that point that the Sooners made a controversial interception in the red zone, BG coach Gregg Brandon was irate and BG team captain Jovon Burkes’ game came alive.

Burkes took it upon himself to pick up the pace and pick up the pace he did.

He recorded six sacks in the fourth quarter to put away the Sooners 28-6. Burkes’ sacks elevated the BG defense into the record books as they sacked Mr. Heisman 17 times on the day. I’m guessing this is not what the commentators had in mind when they said he would have a career day.

The man with the career day was Hawkins, who finished with a school-record 306 yards receiving. Also breaking records were Sayles (9 sacks) and Burkes (6 sacks).

In the end, we all learn one lesson in video game land, don’t mess with the Falcons’ defense.