Opportunity for students to shape the American political landscape

The opportunity for students to shape the American political landscape will present itself on November 2, and many social and political groups on campus have taken it upon themselves to help prepare their Bowling Green brethren.

Students 18 and older who have yet to fill out their voter registration forms will have the opportunity this week from various spots on campus.

Students will find sign-up tables near the front entrance of the Bowen Thompson Student Union, courtesy of the University’s Black Student Union and College Republicans.

Students can also register on their way to and from class on the front steps of the Education Building, set up by the NAACP and BSU.

The goal of 100 registrants per day may seem like a lofty one, but in a joint effort the BSU and NAACP were able to surpass this number on the first day of registry. They are confident that the successful response will continue throughout the rest of this week.

“Students will realize that their voice is important,” NAACP President Jakell Wilson said. “We’re the leaders of tomorrow, and our generation should be heard.”

Like the rest of the nation, America’s youth has grown increasingly polarized over topics like outsourcing, the war in Iraq, and an apathetic turnaround for the economy. A Harvard study found that 62 percent of college students say they’re planning on voting this fall, compared to 50 percent in the 2000 election.

“We would like to get as many students registered as we can,” said Jim Wasil, who is heading the republican’s Students for Bush Committee. “In 2000, Wood County was very close, with just a 500 vote difference. We’re trying to identify Republicans on campus to get out and support Bush.”

Each of the three booths will provide students an opportunity to register under their on-campus address as a Wood County resident, or as an absentee voter via their home county.

Those who register as absentee voters will be mailed a voting ballot a few weeks prior to the election, allowing them to vote on various tax and city government issues back home. All voters must be registered by October 30, 2004, in order to participate on November 2.

The College Democrats will jump into the voter registration mix as well in the coming weeks.

“We will be tabling to register voters soon,” President Kathleen Hartwell said. The organization will also be coordinating with like-minded campus organizations in order to rally support for Senator John Kerry as November approaches.

Early participation results have been positive in the Democratic primary elections this past spring.

Reports from the Iowa Caucus in late January have shown that 17 percent of the turnout came from voters age 18-30, almost doubling the 9 percent caucus turnout in 2000.

Tables for the NAACP, College Republicans and BSU will continue registering students from 10 – 4 p.m., through Friday, August 27. Students may also fill out voter registration forms online at www.rockthevote.com or www.workingforchange.com/vote.