Meet the Deans

By Carrie Whitaker

Editor-in-Chief

As each freshman begins his or her college career one goal is to choose a major in one of the six undergraduate colleges at the University — so why not meet each college dean?

The deans have expectations for their colleges this year and want to welcome you each to our learning community, so we let them do that in their own words.

Donald Nieman – College of Arts and Sciences

How long have you been dean of the college?

I have been dean since July 1, 2000. Prior to that, I was chair of the history department and a professor of history at BGSU.

Why do you like working at the University?

I like working at BGSU because it’s a place that is open to good ideas and different ways of doing things. We don’t think we have to do things the same way “because we’ve always done it that way.” Under President Ribeau’s leadership, we have created a number of innovative programs like BG Experience, President’s Leadership Academy and our residential learning communities that are designed to offer students a personal, holistic and high-quality education.

What do freshmen have to look forward to at the University?

Freshman can look forward to an outstanding, approachable faculty; caring advisers; challenging courses; smaller courses than they will find at other public universities; a rich array of outside of class activities; an exciting art scene and a wide array of majors and academic programs from which to choose.

What in your mind is the most exciting thing going on at the college this school year?

To me, the BG Experience (BGX) is the most exciting program on campus. This fall, half of all freshmen will participate, and next year all freshmen will be a part of it. This is a unique program that offers freshmen an opportunity to make connections with faculty and other students before classes begin. It helps them understand the expectations of our community, encourages them to think about who they are and what’s really important to them, and develops skills that will help them make the most of college.

Robert Edmister – College of Business

I have just completed my first full year as dean of the College of Business Administration.

What in your mind is the best part about being part of your college?

The College of Business Administration is an accredited, competitive program with a strong curriculum, dedicated faculty and outstanding student organizations. Our students have an opportunity to become involved both in and out of the classroom and our alumni are great role models for those with aspirations to be successful in the world of business.

We offer one class for freshmen in the CBA and we encourage all underclass students in and outside of the college to explore the student organizations affiliated with the various fields of study within it. Among the several dozen available options are organizations for students interested in marketing, management, economics, law, human resources, accounting, finance and hospitality management.

Our newest program, our Entrepreneurship minor, is exciting because it is available to any BGSU student, whether he or she is interested in starting a business or working as an “entrepreneur” within a large organization. The mix of business and non-business students in the classes has created a great learning environment. We’ve also had a great deal of financial support for the program from our alumni and business friends. This kind of partnership between students and business is providing a lot of unique opportunities for internships and networking.

Dean Richard Kennell – College of Musical Arts

While this is the start of my third year as dean of the College of Musical Arts, I have actually worked at BGSU since 1980.

As music students progress through each academic year, we can see definite improvement. From concert to concert and recital to recital, we can see that our students are improving under the watchful eyes of our music faculty. This steady improvement is a source of great satisfaction and encouragement. Our students will have easy access to literally hundreds of outstanding concerts throughout the year.

What do freshmen have to look forward to at BGSU?

I think students will enjoy being surrounded by others who are just as dedicated to their studies as they are. These are the best high school graduates taking classes with other top students. I predict that this level of achievement will be literally thrilling for most freshmen music majors.

This academic year marks the 25th anniversary of the opening of the Moore Musical Arts Center, the home of the College of Musical Arts at BGSU. This facility is one of the nation’s finest for the study and presentation of music. Our students and alumni are very fortunate to enjoy such outstanding facilities, and during the year ahead we will offer several special commemorative events.

Dean Linda Petrosino – College of Health and Human Services

Two years as dean, however I have been at BGSU for 18 years as a faculty member and Chair of the department of communication disorders.

BGSU attracts tremendously talented faculty and staff who I have been privileged to work side by side with over the years. I continue to be in an environment that allows me to contribute to students and my profession in ways I believe are meaningful.

Each program and area within the college emphasizes active learning through involvement. Students are able to apply what they have learned in the classroom through spending time with professionals in practical field experiences, laboratory and/or clinical placements. There are over 300 affiliations with the college that offer these opportunities for our students. I believe that the experience that students receive from the combined contributions of our external supervisors, mentors and classroom faculty provide a wonderful formula for student success.

Dean Ernest Savage – College of Technology

Six years, although I’m starting my 25th year at BGSU.

The faculty and staff are great! We’re committed to student success. We all — students, faculty and staff — have opportunities to grow and enrich our lives. And, I like the winters (haha).

We are the only college in the University that requires co-op experiences as part of a students’ academic program. That means that a student will earn credit while working in the profession for which he or she is preparing. It gives a graduate almost a full year of experience in his or her profession at graduation — what an advantage in the employment market!

Freshmen will have an opportunity to grow with the help of mentors and caring professionals. All they have to do is show up and we will help them become the capable professional and caring individuals that they wish to be.

In the college, we’ve upgraded almost every computer lab. That means that we will be able to offer the most contemporary information technology to students in every one of our programs. Of course, we’re also wireless throughout most of our college buildings. We’ve improved our retention rate by 10 percent — that means that we’re listening to our students and helping them to make the adjustment to be successful in their first year at BGSU.

Dean Jose Cruz – College of Education and Human Development

This fall semester I will begin my third year.

First of all, it has a wonderful reputation nationally. In addition, the commitment to excellence on behalf of the faculty and staff is truly impressive.

To be part of a great tradition of teaching and service to families and young people.