Fiber, paint on display

If you haven?t had a chance to attend the 54th annual faculty/staff art exhibit, don?t worry, there?s still time.

The exhibit, which is located in the Dorothy Uber Bryan Gallery in the Fine Arts Building, will be open until Sunday. The gallery features a variety of artwork, including sculptures, posters and photographs, all submitted by faculty or staff members.

The exhibit provides them with a venue to showcase their work, as well as students an opportunity to see what their teachers have created.Many students, including Linda Bylica, appreciate the exhibit.

?It?s nice to see what the faculty can do,? she said. ?There is a lot a talent on campus.?

Parisa Ghahremani, also a student, echoes Bylica?s views on the exhibit. She described the works as ?very creative,? adding that imagination is key when it comes to some of the pieces displayed.

?Some are hard to figure out, so when you do, it?s pretty cool,? Ghahremani said.Included in the exhibit is a tribute to Tracy Ruhlin, an adjunct faculty member of the University for 10 years, who died last year.

Ruhlin?s style of art was known as fiber art.

?Fiber art utilizes fabric or fiber, and can encompass a wide variety of different forms, including weaving, quilting, even crocheting and knotting,? said Jacqueline Nathan, exhibition program administrator for the School of Art.

According to Nathan, Ruhlin?s art was very innovative.

?She found a way to dye monofilament, which is basically fishing line, and create very engaging small works, which reflect a lot of light and energy,? she said.

Ruhlin is remembered for her upbeat, fun attitude, and her dedication to her art, Nathan said,Ruhlin?s works were noticed by the art community, and many appeared in national publications, including ?Fiberarts Design Books Two, Four, and Five,? and one of her pieces, a hand-dyed, woven, nylon Christmas ornament was displayed in the White House in 1993.

The ornament remains in the White House Permanent Collection.

The exhibit will be open Saturday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., and on Sunday from 1 p.m. through 4 p.m. Admission is free.