BG bowl prayers get an answer

The past few weeks have been quite emotional for me.

Not, not because its the holidays and nobody loves (Mommy still does) and no not because my cat Larry died.

But rather because of the uncertainty of the Bowling Green football team’s future.

The team played a great season, winning eight games and embarassing some opposition (see: Temple and Ball State) and allowing some opponents to save face in their last game at the Doyt as a MAC affiliate (I shouldn’t have to tell you who).

On top of this, Omar Jacobs had what he would grade as a B-. The sophmore is just 176 yards away from breaking Josh Harris’ single season passing yards record and should break it in one more quarter of play. Running back P.J. Pope has proven himself as the premier back in the MAC (yes, the All-MAC picks are wrong) and the receiving corps which has too many talented players to name provide fireworks week in and week out.

Add in a defense that knows how to keep most teams out of the endzone and you’ve got yourself a force to be reckoned with.

All this added up to eight wins this year.

And yet I was still concerned with the Falcons’ postseason chances. After all, they finished fourth in the MAC behind Northern Illinois, Toledo and Miami. And even with the Silicon Valley Bowl as a MAC bowl, the Falcons’ chances still weren’t great.

After all, we all got to see Northern Illinois have a great season last year and miss out on bowling. And in the past several years, winning 10 or 11 games in the MAC hasn’t been good enough for a bowl bid.

That was the reason for my sorrow. I was thinking crap teams like Colorado (Big 12 North champs), Iowa State and Arizona State (I don’t care, they’re overrated) would take up all the bowl bids.

Even with online sites projecting the Falcons going to Hawaii, Vegas and Watts (no, not Watts, they don’t have a bowl) I was still skeptical of the team getting a bowl bid.

That is why today I can announce that I am much happier. Today, I now know the Falcons will get a chance to finish out the year strong and Omar will get a chance to attain that elusive A+ game he has been looking for.

But I got greedy.

I was hoping the team would get to go to Hawaii and enjoy the beaches. Or get to go to Vegas on a trip that would be sure to scar the program but would be a lot of fun anyways.

The trip to Mobile will pail in comparison to Hawaii and Vegas.

But upon further research, I found that Mobile is the best of both worlds.

It is located next to the Gulf of Mexico on the beaches of Alabama which makes it not quite Hawaii, but good enough.

Then I found out that Birmingham had its own race tracks for horses and greyhounds. And if you’re really feeling good, you can make the trip to many casinos in New Orleans.

Basically, the sum of Hawaii and Vegas equals Mobile. Have some of that conventional vacation spots.

Not only can the beach be enjoyed, but a person in Mobile could spend the family nest egg, too.

Add that to a BG football game and you’ve got yourself one heck of an experience.