Column: Team has a problem with records

Just like hearts and expensive china, records are broken all the time.

But all the bowls and former boyfriends of Paris Hilton couldn’t come close to the number of records that were broken at the GMAC Bowl.

Let me get one last gasp of air before I dive into this one.

Probably the most impressive record that was broken in the game, and broken seven times was Shaun Suisham’s continuing extra point record. Suisham’s 226 extra points come thanks to an offense that has scored much like the aforementioned Paris Hilton boyfriends. But one thing that Suisham did mostly on his own was hit his 45th field goal, a BG record.

Going down the line we run smack dab into sometimes short, always effective running back P.J. Pope. A player many see as getting lost in the mix amongst the Sharons and Jacobs of the team, Pope would do fine all on his own. In the first half he eclipsed 1,000 yards on the season, pairing him with Paul Miles as one of the only two players in BG history to have multiple 1,000 yard seasons on the ground.

But it doesn’t stop there: It stops way down the road.

Paving the way for Pope the past two seasons has been center Scott Mruczkowski, who started 49 consecutive games for BG in his career while many teams don’t even get to play 49 games in a four-year span.

The wide receiving tandem of Cole Magner and Chuck Sharon also made its presence felt: Magner now holds the BG record for receptions with 215 for his career, and Sharon takes over from there.

The junior now has a BG-record 28 touchdown grabs in his career and, with his two in the GMAC Bowl, he bettered his team record 15 touchdowns this season. Right now, the only person threatening those records is Sharon himself, who will have a shot to better them all next season.

The milestones only get crazier from there.

See people, this is what happens when you finish the season off by scoring 52 points.

The solid day at the office put the Falcons’ scoring average at 44 points per game this season — a MAC record — while the falcons combined with Memphis to score 63 first half points, an NCAA bowl record.

Behind every problem like this there is usually a ring leader.

That is where Don Jacobs comes in.

I know, I know, his name is Omar — but after this season he should be known as the Godfather of offense.

The season he has had is nothing short of remarkable: I have trouble duplicating his numbers on my Playstation.

In the GMAC Bowl, the sophomore had five touchdowns, a GMAC and BG bowl record.

That helped him move into first place in MAC history with 41 touchdown passes this season, besting the likes of Chad Pennington and Ben Roethlisberger in the process..

Jacobs also joined Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich as one of only three quarterbacks in MAC history to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

Not bad for the guy who played the role of question mark to start the season.

And what have all these records translated into for the Falcons, you ask.

Well, none other than a new high mark for BG of 37 wins in a four year span.

All this can go on the record.