Falcons Fall on Friday, Dominate Huskies on Saturday for Weekend Split

After being away from home for nearly a month, BGSU Hockey hit the ice at Slater Ice Arena for a weekend series against Michigan Tech, splitting with the Huskies.

Here’s how it happened:

Friday

The game was a back-and-forth affair, with each team getting excellent opportunities down low around the net. Disaster however struck for the Falcons early in the game as defenseman Hunter Lellig was ejected 12 minutes into the first period for grabbing a facemask during a scuffle after the play. 

The Huskies finally lit the lamp, as at the 14:11 mark, Parker Saretsky would find the back of the net first. The Falcon response would come in the second period as the now-healthy Anton Malmstrom scored his first of the year, assisted by Ben Wozney and Ethan Scardina.

The deadlock would not last long however, only seven minutes later into the second, MT’s Ryland Mosley scored a powerplay goal from a backdoor rebound.

The Falcons would again rally to tie the game in the waning minutes of the second, with Scardina scoring on an shorthanded, unassisted breakaway late into the second. Husky attacker Logan Ganie would score the game winning goal for the Huskies only 6:04 into the third. The Falcons would be given a golden opportunity inside the last two minutes of the game, going on the powerplay and having the extra attacker from the empty net on the ice. They were, however, unable to convert. 

Saturday

The first period started with both goalies standing tall for the first 14 minutes. Both offenses could not capitalize on the many chances they had. That was until MTU sophomore Trevor Russell broke the tie with a shot out in front of the heavily screened net. 

Four minutes later, the Falcons would head to the power play after Parker Saretsky was called for a hook. This powerplay led to BG tying it as Ethan Scardina netted his first of the season to make it a 1-1 game.

Blink and you’d miss the Falcons taking the lead as, eleven seconds later, senior Adam Pitters took the puck off the draw and scored his second goal of the season.

The whole game was a Christian Stoever highlight reel as the sophomore goalie faced tons of shots all night, especially at the end of the first, saving all of them.

The Falcons would head into the second with a hot start as Ben Wozney’s beautiful cross-crease pass would find the stick of fellow sophomore Austen Swankler, giving BG a two goal advantage a minute and thirty-one seconds in.

Michigan Tech came into the game only having given up one shorthanded goal all season. That changed after Huskies freshman Jake Crespi found himself in the box for interference. The Falcons cashed in on that power play as Merrimack transfer Zach Vinnell fired a puck from the blue line, and Nathan Burke scored his first of the season off the deflection. making the game 4-1.

Almost halfway through the third, BG headed to the penalty kill as Swankler would be called for roughing. Trying to get back into the game, the Huskies pulled their goalie to give them a six-on-four advantage with an empty net. This aggression would cost the Huskies, however, as Taylor Schneider scored in the empty net to give BG the 5-1 lead.

The Orange and Brown scoring frenzy would come to an end with freshman Jaden Grant scoring his first collegiate goal with family in the crowd, to give the Falcons a 6-1 win.

The key to success would come down to special teams play. 

“It was massive,” Alex Barber said. “Our power play was good tonight for sure; we needed our special teams to step it up to win hockey games. Every night in the CCHA is tough, and the differences in special teams can separate you from having a special year.”

BG hockey will return to the ice Friday, Nov. 11, against St. Thomas for Hero’s night. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:07.

For more information about the Falcons, visit bgsufalcons.com