BGSU commits to 100% student voter registration

Falcon 4 News

Nia Lambdin | Managing Editor

As election season approaches, Bowling Green State University joins the ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge Presidents’ Commitment, committing to achieving 100% student voter registration and participation. 

As part of the commitment, BGSU will be supporting numerous initiatives aimed to help students develop habits to become active and informed citizens. BGSU’s pledge to 100% student voter registration will also install democratic participation within the core values of the campus community. 

President Rodney Rogers is excited to support and facilitate democratically engaged citizens to create a healthy democracy, according to a press release.

“As a public university for the public good, it is our responsibility to support students to be engaged citizens,” Rogers said. “A healthy democracy and civil discourse rely on generations of citizens who recognize the importance of exercising their right to vote.”

In order to improve civic learning, political engagement and voter participation, BGSU plans to develop and implement data-driven action plans, as well as, work alongside members of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and the student body. 

BGSU has participated in the ALL IN challenge since its beginning in 2016 and has helped increase 12% in voting rates from 2016 to 2020, according to a press release.

In 2020, BGSU had 67.6% of students voting in the presidential election.