“Best Buddies” creates inclusion on campus

When you enter college, you want to feel included and a sense of belonging. Since 2017, Best Buddies at Bowling Green State University has done just that. Chapter President Allison Bartholow explains the organization’s mission and how students can get involved.

What is Best Buddies?

“Best Buddies is an international club that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships between people with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities.”

What is your role and responsibilities within the organization? 

My role with the organization is Chapter President. Some of my responsibilities are getting to do all the fun behind the scenes work. I work alongside my executive board to keep the organization running. We do all the things necessary to create and upkeep the club.”

How long have you been involved with Best Buddies and how did you find leadership opportunities?

“I have been involved with Best Buddies since high school, so I would say it’s been around six years now. About a year and a half ago, our last executive board had a lot of seniors that were graduating. So there were a lot of executive board positions open. The last position that was open was president. I was slightly involved with a leadership role in my high school Best Buddies chapter so I thought it was perfect for me to step into a bigger leadership role and help another chapter.”

What has been your favorite memory or experience while in Best Buddies?

“I would have to say one of my favorite memories was the 2021 Match Party. It was red carpet themed. Having the buddies pairs walk down the red carpet together was fun to watch and fun to be a part of.”

Why should BGSU students join Best Buddies? 

I think BGSU students should join Best Buddies to strive for inclusion and lifelong friendships. Best Buddies has been an amazing organization to be a part of for me and has given me a sense of home here at BG.”

What events are coming up for Best Buddies? How can students find out more information about the club and get involved?

“We have our match party coming up at the end of the month. It’s for our members who will be getting matched in a one-to-one friendship and for our associate members. You can also keep up with our BGSU student organization webpage to find out when our next event will be. To learn more information, you can visit the Best Buddies International website  or visit our webpage on the BGSU student organizations page. If there are any questions or concerns, you can email me at [email protected].