Gymnastics hosts final home meet

The Falcon gymnastics team went .500 during its last two meets and as the season winds toward its final dismount, the Falcons have one last home meet this Saturday against Western Michigan University.

Coach Kerri Beach said the team is hungry for a win and wants to make up for the mistakes the team has made over the last two meets.

The Falcons are set with their lineups and WMU has had a season of ups and downs.

Due to up and down scoring, WMU’s record stands at 4-4 overall. As of late, “they have had two low scoring weekends, but great weekend last week,” Beach said.

Beach expects this week’s meet to be a positive result because it will be senior night.

The meet is the last of the regular season and senior night, where the Falcons will celebrate Sunny Marchand and Monica Eaton.

The meet on March 2 resulted in a loss against Central Michigan University.

BG scored 194.50 points against CMU. Beach said that they could have reached the team’s season goal of reaching a score of 195, but the team had to count a fall resulting in a weaker score.

“Central was a good meet for us,” Beach said. “Of course you want to win, but gymnastics is a lot more about scoring than a win or a loss.”

Beach said the team walked away feeling like it gave them something to build on.

The second meet on March 8 was disappointing, as the Falcons scored 192.70 in a loss against the University of Kentucky. The score reflected the Falcons’ poor routines on high bar and floor exercise.

“It was frustrating on Friday. We started well on vault and bars but the girls were frustrated and made a few errors on bar and [floor exercise],” Beach said.

The Falcons are also hoping that they can score well and gain momentum before heading to the MAC Championship.

“Everyone on our team knows we have the capability to score 195 and hit our routines,” Beach said.