Trap music brings news sound to campus

To some students, different types of techno music sound the same, but junior Kelsey Treon can tell the difference.

“I could tell them apart when I heard them that they were different,” she said.

Trap, a genre of music similar to dubstep, has become popular recently and is popping up in the music scene.

Treon said she thinks there is a small difference between the music.

“They both use a lot of bass,” she said. “I feel like dubstep uses heavier bass.”

“A lot of people don’t know what it is, or they think it’s the same as dubstep,” said Manny Marcelo, who is also known as Kiss FM’s DJ Manny.

The difference between dubstep and trap is one that is not apparent to many.

“Dubstep uses robot sounds, and trap uses hip-hop samples,” Marcelo said. “Trap is like the ghetto dubstep.”

The music is not defined by how many beats per minute, but rather the sounds it includes.

“Trap has the same BPM at dubstep, it just uses different sound samples,” Marcelo said

Banan Alkilani, the general manager of Cla-Zel, said if you listen to the music you can hear the difference between them.

“If you listen to Harlem Shake and Skrillex they are very different,” he said.

Marcelo said there are a few producers currently releasing the trap music.

“DJ Carnage and Baauer, Baauer did the Harlem Shake, are the two mainly producing it,” he said.

Alkilani said the trend of electronic music being popular has been around for years.

“From the ‘80s and ‘90s to now electronic music has been popular,” he said. “People like to experiment with the new software and instruments.”

As long as the technology continues to move forward, more of this type of music will be released, Alkilani said.

“The technology out there is always changing and advancing, there is always something to work with,” he said.

The music people hear in clubs, Alkilani said often becomes popular after going “viral.”

“Our DJ plays mainly mainstream Top 40 songs, so the ones that hit the scene of viral music go viral is because of the Internet, and they explode,” Alkilani said.

The crowd of people requesting the music is no different than usual, and Alkilani said this could be for various reasons.

“Because it’s viral, everyone is attracted to it,” he said. “They’ve been playing it on SNL and Jimmy Kimmel, just about every late night host has done some kind of skit with it.”

Alkilani said he cannot foresee the future of trap music.

“People were saying over a year ago that dubstep wouldn’t last,” he said. “Now, two years later it’s still mainstream. So I can’t say if [trap] will last or not.”

Marcelo said he sees hip-hop embracing trap music and making it more of a mainstream genre.

“It’s going to take some Top 40 artists to make it mainstream,” he said.

However, Treon doubts trap music will remain popular for long.

“I mean dubstep has been around for awhile, it’s not the most popular kind of music so I can definitely see [trap] fading away,” she said.

New trap music will always be created, but Marcelo said he also thinks it will be a passing trend.

“It’s a phase, but it will always be in existence,” he said. “It just may not be the trending genre of the time.”