Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Cooperation beats the standard association

If you will, close your eyes and think about the following words: harmony, together, interlocked agreement, coherence, cohesion, unity and participation.

Open your eyes. Did you see any pictures in your mind as you thought about the words?

Did you see your workplace or classroom? Did you laugh or glare at the previous question? Or did you say yes?

All the words I asked you to envision encompass in some way the definition of cooperation.

Cooperation is one of the biggest factors of achieving success in a business, partnership, class project or anything dealing with a group of people and a goal.

In a lot of workplaces, there are people who in some way, feel superior to others and thus begin to treat the one whom the superior feels is inferior is a manner in which shows lack of consideration, understanding and wisdom.

Having an environment where this treatment exists is really unnecessary and inevitably, which will call for removal of the negative variable.

Napoleon Hill’s Law of Success states intolerance is one of the biggest barriers of success. Many businesses have completely crumpled because of intolerance and lack of cooperation from some members. Now, I’m pretty sure these acts were fairly large if they cause entire businesses to fail, but even the small acts impact the dynamic of a workplace or whatever environment you find yourself to be in.

If tolerance is one of the biggest factors in finding success, then how does that affect the way we treat each other in work and social environments? I think behind every positive social and work environment is a foundation of cooperation and tolerance. Many businesses have adopted a high tolerant environment coupled with creating and maintaining a diverse atmosphere. Both diversity and being tolerant create an atmosphere of harmony. This harmonic environment provides the perfect conditions to achieve a goal.

It would be best to create the best dynamic possible in whatever environment you find yourself in to maximize all utilities and build strong efficient coalitions.

In many group projects and other activities, I see acts of intolerance and mistreatment among peers for whatever inane reason. These acts range from completely berating someone inappropriately to embarrassing someone on purpose to excluding them from activity. Now, if the person in question is causing harm to anyone or themselves, that’s a different story, but for the cause of this article, there is no harm being done.

Imagine the amount of accomplishment and success one would have if all members would harmonize in respect and tolerance for their colleagues. Hill often uses Abraham Lincoln as an example in his work. Obviously Lincoln acquired the spirit of cooperation and tolerance and with his Emancipation Proclamation, he was successful at equalizing a torn nation.

Now, if this principle of tolerance and cooperation was applied in our daily lives such as workplaces, group projects, and other activities how much more effective and successful would these projects be? I would guess at 100 percent better.