Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Publishing independent student content

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• Women in Horror for Halloween
    It’s that time of year again where the weather is starting to cool down and the Halloween decorations are being put out. For me once it hits end of September my TBR becomes nothing, but horror and thriller novels. As a big mood reader the seasons and holidays determine what I want to read next. […]
  • My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]

Women’s Basketball loses to Western Michigan

The Falcons battled down to the wire with Western Michigan, but fell to the Broncos 55-54.

With BG trailing by two, Junior point guard Jillian Halfhill hit a three to put the Falcons up 54-53 with 44 seconds to go. The three-point shot by Halfhill was her only basket of the day, as she was 1-8 from the field.

Western Michigan would then take a 30-second timeout to collect themselves. They would then put the ball in the hands of Corie Buchanan who made the eventual game-winning shot. Buchanan was the team’s second-leading scorer with eight points.

The 5’8” junior has been a big part of the Broncos offense this season, having led the team in scoring six times. Her biggest output was a 25 point effort at Northern Arizona on Nov. 23.

This could be considered a bad loss for the Falcons, as Western was 7-15 on the season and 3-6 in the Mid-American Conference. Going into the matchup the Broncos were tied with Eastern Michigan for last in the MAC West.

BG got out to a very slow start as they fell down by as much as 14 in the first half. The Falcons were hindered by poor first-half shooting as they shot 17 percent from the field. BG was able to cut the deficit to six (20-26) to close out the first half. The surge was a result of the Falcons going on a 10-2 run to end the half.

BG got another big performance from sophomore Deborah Hoekstra, who led the Falcons with 11 points. Hoekstra was three of eight from the field and was 80 percent from the foul line. Along with Hoekstra, BG had two other players scoring in double figures.

The Falcons’ top two leading scorers Alexis Rogers and Chrissy Steffen combined for 20 points on 6 of 20 shooting. Steffen was just 2 of 11 but added in four made free throws. The senior also had the ball in her hands with the clock running down but missed a three which would have given BG the win.

BG shot 70 field goal attempts compared to Western Michigan’s 44. The Falcons made just 19 of those 70 attempts for a 27 percent field goal rate. Western was 50 percent from the field as they nearly doubled BG in scoring percentage.

The loss snaps BG’s two game winning streak while it gives Western Michigan its second win in four days. BG will continue its current three game road swing next Saturday when they face Northern Illinois.