Church, windmill among structures transformed into houses in city

Living in just a plain old house is becoming boring for some students at the University.

Now some people are moving on to more interesting places, like churches, windmills and even an old crematorium.

Jeena Kim, graduate student and instructor of popular culture at the University, finds it interesting that people live in such places.

“I suspect that people appreciate the individuality that comes with living in a house that used to be a church or a windmill. Everyone wants to be someone,” Kim said.

The residents of the church house said they wanted the house because of the reputation it has.

Senior William Forrester lives in the church house and explained there was nothing too surprising about it.

“We visited the house and it was huge. We knew the reputation that it was a party house and that is what we liked about it,” Forrester said.

The house is an open floor plan with high ceilings, four bedrooms and two bathrooms all on the main floor. The bell tower can still be accessed through a little attic crawl space when first entering the house, and the bell still does ring.

Senior Alex Howard also lives at the church house. He had no doubts at all about living there.

“People just need to realize that it is not a church anymore. It’s just a big house that we can throw the football around in the living room,” Howard said.

The church house isn’t the only interesting house in Bowling Green.

Even though there are no current residents at the windmill house on Clough St., students are still interested in its uniqueness.

Evan Spooner, who is a senior at the University, recently walked through the house.

“The house is really small. There are three floors and the kitchen and a bathroom are on the main floor,” Spooner said.

He also explained that to get to the third floor bedroom you have to climb a horizontal ladder.

The house may have been interesting, but the rent was too much for Spooner’s liking.

Stephen Foraker, who is the landlord at the windmill house and has been for the past 23 years, said past residents were satisfied with living there.

He also believes that people will continue to rent it out.

Another house that may be considered odd would be a blue house on North Prospect.

Senior Tony Thomas lived in the house this past year and said it used to be a crematorium.

“My roommate thought it was haunted and having a basement called ‘Mary’s Hell’ wasn’t that great either,” Thomas said.

He would prefer living in a house that used to be a windmill or a house that used to be a church to a house that used to burn dead bodies.

Forrester explained that he just sees the church house as a house, not for what it used to be.

“People just need to know that people inside the houses have made them homes,” he said.