Swim team takes 7 events in loss at EMU

The BG swimming team took seven out of 14 events in its first duel meet of the season in a 166-126 loss to Eastern Michigan University on Saturday.

“It’s going to be a fast year for everyone, but we’re right up there with all the other guys,” head coach Petra Martin said. “So, it was good. I was happy with it.”

The team started strong when it won the first event of the day, the 200-yard medley relay. The team, made up of Maya Skorupski, Daniela Carrillo, Joelle Scheps and Brittany Szekely, would end with a time of 1:45.88.

Lara Klein would take third in the 1000 yard freestyle, scoring points for BGSU, finishing in 10:41.78.

Freshman Victoria Griffin brought in two individual wins for the Falcons in the 200 and 100 yard freestyles with times of 1:50.71 and 51.49, respectively. Joelle Scheps would come in second in the 200 freestyle while Brittany Szekely would come in second in the 100 freestyle.

In event four, Skorupski went on to win the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 57.52, just under two seconds before Eastern Michigan would come in for second. Later in the meet, Skorupski would take second in the 200 yard backstroke.

In the 50 yard freestyle, Szekely came in first for BG finishing with a time of 23.67.

The Falcons would win the last two events of the day in the 200-yard individual medley and 400 yard freestyle relay.

BG earned the top three finishes in the 200 where Scheps came in first with a time of 2:07.20. Teammates Jordan Bullock and Kristin Filby followed in second and third.

In the 400-yard freestyle relay, the team made up of Victoria Griffin, Kayla Effinger, Petra Laudova and Brittany Szekely would end the day in first place with a final time of 3:29.92.

“It was interesting because this weekend, all the MAC schools were competing, so it was just kind of fun to see how all the other schools worked,” coach Martin said.

The Falcons will head to Miami and Xavier for back-to-back meets this coming Friday and Saturday.