BG looks for win against Michigan State

ANBENES

Ryan James goes up for a header against a Michigan defender in their game earlier this season.

BG is preparing to take on another Big Ten opponent. The BG Men’s soccer team will compete against Michigan State Wednesday at 5 p.m. They have tied the previous two Big Ten opponents: Michigan who they tied 1-1 on Sept. 2 and Ohio State who they tied 0-0 Friday night.

BG hosted Ohio State in front of a record-setting audience in a game that went into double overtime and ended in a 0-0 tie.

They played their best game of the year while taking 35 shots and only allowing OSU to attempt 12 shots, said head soccer coach Eric Nichols.

The Falcons have defended themselves well against Big Ten teams and going into the upcoming game they do not plan on changing their strategies.

“We obviously need to finish our chances,” said captain Joey D’Agostino “We had a lot last game but tomorrow is a good opportunity.”

Michigan State was recently ranked in the Top 25 and heading into the game. BG plans on sticking to their game plan and following through on their shots. That is the key to winning against Michigan State, D’Agostino said.

The Falcons do not plan on practicing or preparing for this game any differently because it is against a Big Ten opponent. Playing well against them will only help them prepare for the MAC schedule.

The Falcons have showed improvement in their marking on all sides of the field since their weekend in Milwaukee and that was shown against Ohio State according to coach Nichols. They look to continue their improvement as they finish their run against their Big Ten opponents.

“We might be good against Big Ten teams but we don’t look into it like that,” D’Agostino said. “Every game is its own game, its own championship game so tomorrow we are just focusing solely on that. We are not going to look into what we have done in the past against them,” he said

The Falcons are preparing to go on the road where they hope to get their first win against a Big Ten team this season. This will be their last Big Ten opponent this season and it will bring them one game closer to the end of their stretch against ranked opponents.