Who to pick in NFL fantasy football, best QBs, RBs, WRs

With the National Football League starting this Thursday Night, it is time for some Fantasy Football insight.

Here are the top five breakdowns for quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers.

The 2013 quarterback fantasy breakdown does not have too many surprises throughout my first five spots. We’ll start with New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who will have Head Coach Sean Payton back this season after serving his year long suspension. Look out for Brees to have another stellar season and duplicate his 2011 record of 5,476 passing yards.

Second on the list is Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. He’s is a must-have in any league. Rodgers has thrown out for 8,938 yards, 84 touchdowns and 14 interceptions the past two seasons.

Following Rodgers is another Super Bowl MVP, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning. After missing the entire 2011 season, Manning lead the Broncos to a 13-3 record while throwing 37 touchdowns to 11 interceptions. Denver’s depth chart at wide receiver has only increased since the off-season and sets Manning up for another successful season.

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is coming off another substantial season where Brady threw for 4,827 yards and 34 touchdowns and shows no signs of slowing down.

To top off my top five quarterbacks, we have a high risk, high reward pick: San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. The duel threat quarterback sneaks into my top five list, surpassing Rookie of the Year winners and Super Bowl MVPs. Kaepernick’s strong arm, and read option threat proves to be more than worthy.

Other quarterbacks you may want to consider for your fantasy team include the Indianapolis’ Andrew Luck, Washington’s Robert Griffin III, Carolina’s Cam Newton, Baltimore’s Joe Flacco and Atlanta’s Matt Ryan.

Although quarterbacks are the leader on the field, running backs will be the backbone to success on your fantasy team. With your first pick you will want to draft last year’s MVP, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson. After Peterson’s season last year he deserves the No. 1 overall pick in any Fantasy Football league. Coming off knee surgery in 2011, Peterson’s offseason work ethic showed in 2012 where he rushed for 2,097 yards and 12 touchdowns, leading the Vikings into the playoffs.

The second running back on my list is Tampa Bay’s Doug Martin. The second-year Boise State product will look to duplicate his dazzling rookie season in which he jumped into one of the premier backs in the league.

Third on my list is Houston Texans running back Arian Foster. He has proven himself to remain a top three running back in the NFL after scoring 41 rushing touchdowns in the past three seasons. Although Foster played in all 16 games this past season, he hasn’t taken a snap this preseason.

The fourth running back on my list is Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch. He’s is coming off an absolute monster season where he ran for 1,590 yards while averaging 5.0 yards per carry.

The final player on the list is Kansas City Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles. The quick and elusive back who has yet to have a season where he averages less than 5.3 yards per carry. Although he isn’t a touchdown machine, I look for his numbers to go up, as the Chiefs will be able to move the ball down field more often with quarterback Alex Smith at the reigns of the offense.

Five more running backs who you may want to consider include Buffalo’s C.J. Spiller, Philadelphia’s LeSean McCoy, Cleveland’s Trent Richardson, Washington’s Alfred Morris and Baltimore’s Ray Rice.

When deciding which wide receiver should be selected first in your draft, just look into the record books. Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson broke Jerry Rice’s single season reception mark this past season. Johnson hauled in 122 catches for a NFL single season best of 1,964 yards. Johnson looks to increase his touchdown total [5] from last season.

The second receiver on my list is Dallas’ Dez Bryant. He’s had some off the field problems and is known for dropping passes, but still snagged 92 balls for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall is the third player on my list. Marshall was targeted 194 times in 2012 season, but the question won’t be about Cutler’s and Marshall’s chemistry, it will be about his injured hip, which he had surgery in the offseason.

A.J. Green of the Cincinnati Bengals is the fourth best receiver this year. Green is an automatic end-zone threat who can go up and get the ball. He makes big play after big play and is a top five wide out entering his prime.

Finally, the fifth wide receiver is Atlanta’s Julio Jones. Although quarterback Matt Ryan also has Roddy White to throw to, Jones pulled in 10 touchdowns and 1,1198 yards for the Falcons in 2012. Entering his 3rd season, he only his room to improve.

If you can’t manage to snag any of those top five wide receivers, make sure you keep an eye on these next five: Arizona’s Larry Fitzgerald, Green Bay’s Randall Cobb, Denver’s Demaryius Thomas, Houston’s Andre Johnson and Tampa Bay’s Vincent Jackson.

Follow The BG News on Twitter throughout the 2012-13 NFL season for more fantasy football updates.