Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]
  • Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]

Halftime show adapted to ‘American Idol’ style

Everyone has seen the hit show “American Idol,” but only those who witnessed the BGSU vs. Tulsa football game were given the chance to see “BG Idol.”

To start off the half time show was Gerry Anderson from Channel 11 News, who pretended to be talk show host Ryan Seacrest. The three judges for the opening game show were University President Mary Ellen Mazey, BG women’s basketball coach Jennifer Roose and Athletic Director Chris Kingston. The judges provided feedback to all three singers.

The three singers for the show were jazz singers who got the crowd involved by singing upbeat, fun songs that everyone could easily sing along to. While the band played in the background, Melody Gelsone went “center stage” to sing the hit song “Done” by The Band Perry. After the judges consulted, they congratulated Melody on a job well done, and next was Cory Jolly.

Jolly presented his own version of “Mercy, Mercy, Mercy,” by Cannonball Edderly.

“He really seemed to give it his all. I was inspired,” said freshman Griffen Palmer.

Last was Alexa Kalasz, who won “BG Idol” with her performance of “Wings” by Little Mix.

“It was pretty good for the first show of the year,” said sophomore Mitch Sora.

Freshman Emily Wilhelm also enjoyed the show.

“The show was entertaining and fun for fans to interact with,” Wilhelm said.

The Falcon Marching Band had less time to prepare compared to other shows, said Zack Deininger, the drum major.

Still he had no doubt the show would be a success, he said.

If you missed this weeks show of “BG Idol,” you will have the chance to see some upcoming shows. Coming soon to the Doyt is not only five more highly anticipated home games, but also Band Day, where local high school bands come to play with the FMB, a Ska show with heavy brass and upbeat music, a show that specializes in “The Lion King” songs and finally, Falcon Fantasia. At the Falcon Fantasia show, the man who wrote the University fight song will be on the field with the band.