Looking at ‘big picture’ can shape education

Dear students,

Welcome to the fall 2013 semester at Bowling Green State University.

Right now, you are immersed in organizational tasks. You’re stocking up on the right supplies, figuring out how to get from class to class and taking care of last minute changes to your schedule or housing.

I encourage you to set aside some time to think about the “big picture” and your future.

What do you want to get from your four years at the University? The effort you put into answering this question and then seeking out the experiences that will help you meet your goals will directly shape your educational journey.

This journey will be unique for each of you. One thing is true for all of us: the more we put into an experience, the more we gain from it.

I encourage you to work hard, immerse yourself in the life of the University, and take part in activities that will enrich your academic learning and your understanding of the world.

At the University, we continue to expand our academic opportunities with classroom and experiential offerings that prepare you for a global marketplace.

Our facilities provide the backdrop for a world-class education, from our residence halls and dining centers to the student-centered Union. You can attend basketball games, concerts and more at the Stroh Center and head to the Wolfe Center for the Arts for theater, music and arts events.

With so much to choose from, know that we are committed to helping you every step of the way. With a robust one-stop tutoring and academic assistance hub at our Learning Commons, teams of academic advisers and faculty and staff in our nationally recognized programs, you will be engaged, challenged and prepared for a meaningful future.

If you have problems or concerns, please let us know. We’re here to help you have a great experience at the University.

As a student, I always loved the feeling of new possibilities as I prepared for fall semesters. As president of the University, I have the same feeling as I think of all the opportunities and experiences awaiting you.

I look forward to personally welcoming you to campus. Have a great semester.