Local band puts own spin on artist covers

Forgetting Frank is a new and upcoming five-piece band from Westlake, Ohio and completing the formation in Bowling Green, Ohio. Each member is a senior at the University.

Vocalist Austin Mazurik and guitarist and vocalist Aaron Mehling went to the same high school in Westlake, but didn’t start making music until their junior year at the University. The members were friends with drummer Gabriel Hartman and guitarist Mark McCann from living in the residence halls. Bassist Jon Thrasher attended the show and was asked to play in the band, completing the lineup.

Mazurik said the band has only played three shows since they formed and practice once a week in the music building at night.

“We drag all of our equipment into the music building at 10 p.m. and generally the practices will go to about 2 a.m., so they’re really late night practices,” Mazurik said. “I don’t know how we do it because we all get up early too, for class.”

Corey James, general manager, said he met Mehling sophomore year as a random roommate in Harshman and knew the guitarist had a band. James was asked to manage the band and books shows, and creates events on Facebook to get their name out there.

“The band is already starting to build very fast,” James said. “I get to be involved in something I really like such as music and I get to hang out with my best friends while doing it.”

Forgetting Frank cover songs from bands such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters and Third Eye Blind and incorporate some original songs when performing. Mazurik said he and Mehling write most of the songs both lyrically and musically.

“When we write, it comes from all of our life experiences,” Mazurik said. “Right now, we’re trying to improve our live concerts. If you’re not a really good live band then you have no reason to be playing music.”

Joe Kospelnik, owner of Campus Quarters, has seen the band perform at his venue twice and said he enjoyed both shows.

“I like the cover songs they do because their selection is pretty wide and they put their own twist on them,” Kospelnik said. “They seem to have a nice following. The band is always talking to the crowd, calling specific people out and it’s good interaction.”

Mazurik said the band is just trying to get its name known to the public and is trying to play as many shows as possible.

“It’s just a matter of taking things slow and to not just mess up our future in case things don’t work out,” Mazurik said.

The band’s songs are available to listen to on its Facebook page and will be performing at One49 North on Feb. 2 at 10 p.m.