BGSU Athletics extends Clawson’s contract through 2018

Football
Football

After finishing the most successful season since 2004, BG Athletics Director Greg Christopher extended Head Football Coach Dave Clawson’s contract through the 2018 season.

The five year extension was based on Clawson’s body of work during his four year stint with the Falcons. Clawson took the job in 2009 earning a bid to the Humanitarian Bowl. The following two seasons were rebuilding years which cumulated into the team’s bid to the 2012 Military Bowl.

Clawson, in his short tenure, has a 22-28 overall record with two bowl appearances as well as having coached some of the greatest BG football athletes of the past decades.

Before coaching the Falcons, Clawson earned Division I-AA Coach of the Year twice; once at Fordham and once at Richmond. Clawson was also named his league’s coach of the year four times in his seven-year span at that level.

None of his seasons proved more impressive than this past one. During the 2012 season, BG fielded 10-All MAC players including six on the defensive side of the ball. BG became recognized for its defense as it finished the year sixth overall nationally. Defensive tackle Chris Jones highlighted Clawson’s Falcons as he earned All-American honors as well as finishing seventh in the nation in sacks.

“I appreciate the confidence shown in me and our football staff by president Dr. Mary Ellen Mazey and our athletics director, Greg Christopher,” Clawson told the athletics department. “Both Dr. Mazey and Greg have been extremely supportive in my time here and they have made it clear the University has made a commitment to the future of BGSU football. We have built a solid foundation over the past four years, and I look forward to continuing to build and grow our program.”

Resigning Clawson is a huge commitment to the Football program and has set in motion another planned renovation in adding new FieldTurf to the Perry Field House next season. FieldTurf has already been installed in the Doyt.

Being a head coach proves that the job never stops. Clawson has been out recruiting members to replace the several graduating seniors. According to ESPN.com, the Falcons have managed to secure the 30th best running back in the nation as well as the 47th.

“Dave has done a terrific job of rebuilding our football program,” Christopher said. “We now have a solid foundation for continued success. Dave has not only instilled a winning culture, but he runs a first-rate program that represents the entire University in a positive fashion. This extension is about our commitment to Dave, the coaching staff and the entire football program.”