BG Women’s Basketball opens MAC play against Kent State

Jillian Halfhill runs into a couple defenders in a game against Temple on Nov. 28. The Falcons lost to the Owls 70-56.

After more than a month of playing games in the non-conference, the BG women’s basketball team will finally start conference action when they take on Kent state this Thursday.

The Falcons will look to rebound from their first loss in more than a month when they take on the Golden Flashes Thursday. BG went 6-0 throughout the month of December, beating the likes of Northwestern out of the Big Ten and Dayton, who was ranked in the top 25.

They even looked impressive in their loss to Central Florida, where they led by 15 late in the second half. The Knights eventually overcame the deficit and stunned the Falcons 59-56.

The Falcons will play their first three conference games at the Stroh Center. BG is currently in the middle of a five-game home stand, which will finish up with Ball State on the 16th.

BG has fared pretty well at home (5-2), but is even better on the road, winning four out of five games. The Falcons also won their previous four games within the walls of the Stroh Center before the UCF loss.

As conference play begins, it should be noted that the Falcons hold a record amount of wins (362) and winning percentage (.711) than any other school in conference.

The Falcons will look to improve that record when they welcome Kent State Thursday night.

The Golden Flashes are just 2-11 on the year and have struggled on the road going 0-5. On a positive note for Kent State, they beat Temple 71-62, and the Owls were one of two teams to come into the Stroh Center and win.

The bad news is that Kent State’s other win came against a lower level team in Bethune-Cookman. They have gone as far as having a seven game losing streak, and before beating Bethune-Cookman on January 2nd, they had lost their previous four.

The Flashes are a one-man wrecking crew with Tamzin Barroilhet, who leads the team in three different offensive categories. She is first on the team with 10.4 points per game, 6.7 boards per game and is also first in steals.

As for the Falcons, look for them to maintain a well-balanced attack and to get everyone involved. BG has three players averaging over 9 points per game and is led by senior Chrissy Steffen who shoots a team best 46.4 percent from the floor.

The Falcons as a team are shooting 37.8 percent from the field and are holding teams below 30 percent from three point land. BG also puts up a dominant front line and have won the rebounding battle in 11 of its first 13 matches.

The game with Kent State is set to tip at 7 p.m. After Kent State the Falcons will then host rival Toledo on Sunday in a game that can be seen on SportsTime Ohio and streamed on ESPN3.