While you were out: The BG News reviews some notable events that took place during winter break

University continues demolition of Heinz plant remnants for green space

The University is tearing down what’s left of the Heinz plant on the corner of North Enterprise Street and Ridge Street in late November in order to convert it to a green space. The intended green space will have walkways and benches. The project is scheduled to conclude this month.

City further debates controversial rezoning ordinance

Developers who wish to put a strip mall on East Wooster Street between North Prospect and North Summit streets were met with opposition from community members when they requested a zoning change. It originally would have allowed for a four story building to be constructed in the lot. To try to appease both parties, city council introduced a new zone that would restrict a building to two stories and disallow rental apartments on the first floor. A public hearing will be hosted to further discuss the legislation Monday at 6 p.m. in the Council Chamber on the third floor of the City Administrative Services building.

City declares snow emergency

Bowling Green received its first big snow fall on Dec. 26, prompting the city to declare a snow emergency to clear the roads for crews to plow the streets. A snow emergency is declared when precipitation exceeds two inches and above. Snow crews dispensed 150 tons of salt on the road ways and 61 people were cited for not removing their vehicles from the street.

BG loses the Military Bowl to San Jose State

The Falcons made their first bowl appearance in three years, but despite a good season, it came up short against SJSU, losing 29-20. The Falcons finished their season with an 8-5 record and will start again Aug. 23 against Tulsa.

Women’s basketball ends 6 game winning streak

Despite a winning streak, the Falcons lost to University of Central Florida on Friday 59-56. Junior Alexis Rogers led the team with 11 points and seven rebounds. The team will have its first conference face-off against Kent State on Thursday. The women’s basketball team has an overall record of 9-4 and Kent is 2-11.